kpg
New Contributor
kpg

ActiveX Hangs in IE8

IE8, WinXP sSP3

I had the free version working just fine 2 versions ago. Then there was an update to the ActiveX (3 months ago or so) and this hung on one machine while waiting for the yellow install activeX bar to appear. I tried to uninstall/reinstall and also to disable the add-ons in IE but nothing worked so I justed used firefox for that one pc.

Then this most recent update became available (today) so I tried it, and same thing. During the download of the ActiveX IE8 hangs. Note this is not when it is trying to install the ActiveX, but while I'm waiting for the yellow bar to popup and say the site wants to install and run an activeX.

I uninstalled and downloaded the msi file, and everything goes fine until that same point..waiting for the yellow bar. The IE8 spinner stops spinning and IE8 not longer responds, and I never see the yellow bar

The ActiveX from 2 updates ago worked fine, so I do not believe it is a security setting or incompatability with something else loaded.

So for now I can use firefox, but why would this happen? I had hopes that this latest update would fix whatever problem this is

kpg
pak
New Contributor
pak

Re: ActiveX Hangs in IE8

I had the same thing happen to me.  I was working fine until the upgrade prompt sometime last week.  The upgrade went fine.  But when I went to login it takes me to the ActiveX install prompt page.  No bar appeared.  A box appeared once to install; but, when I hit install it the IE8 spinner stopped and eventually went to a blank page that showed "Connecting..." in the IE8 tab label.  It never connected to anything.  I tried to install again; but, never got a bar or install box.
New Contributor
Dumpster

I am getting very similar problem. I try to isntall the active x and IE8 comes back and tells me that one of the add-ons is causing a problem (A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage.) so I am no loger able to connect to my remote PC.:smileysad:

I have disabled all of the add-ons with no change.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

pak
New Contributor
pak

I was able to talk to LogMeIn support who also tried to install the ActiveX via IE8 on my computer with no luck.  The techs solution was to install FireFox and the appropiate ActiveX add-on for that browser.  It works fine; I now have a desktop icon for Firefox with the homepage pointing to LogMeIn for when I need get in.  The tech did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem and are working on it.
New Contributor
Dumpster

OK. Thank you for posting an update - Good to know they are aware of the issue. I'll try installing a different browser for now. Thx, Terry
New Contributor
Gu5s

I'm never going to remember what browsers to use. I have 3. some apps need IE, some work better with Firefox. What a pain in the ...
New Contributor
Dumpster

I installed Google Chrome and it works but w/o the 'live' feel of IE. Guess I'll try firefox too to see if the interface with the remote desktop is any smoother.
New Contributor
tyrex56

I have also met a similiar problem on IE8 on WinXP SP3 causing error with latest ActiveX control (as of 22 Sept), which I suspects caused by incomplete installation. Connecting to any computer will triggers reinstallation failure which causes IE to crash.

Following is how I am able to fix it, by copying files from another PC which works. Please note that this might not work for you and remember to backup your files. I will not be responsible for any data loss!

1. Open RACtrl.inf using notepad by typing following in "Start|Run" and take note of all files listed:
notepad "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\RACtrl.inf"

2. In my case, following files are mentioned:
ractrlkeyhook.dll,
RACtrl.dll,
ractrlkeyhook.dll,
LMIProxyHelper.exe,
LMIGuardian.exe,
LMIGuardianDll.dll,
LMIGuardianEvt.dll

3. In my case, all the files are found in the same folder above except ractrlkeyhook.dll is found in C:\windows\system32. Copy and replace all files to their appropriate folders, e.g. by using command line.

4. Register RACtrl.dll by typing "regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\RACtrl.dll" in "Start|Run"

5. (Optional) I have also deleted Logmein key in registry HKCU branch, but I think that this step might not be needed. Remember to backup registry before any change.
New Contributor
Rick V.

I found my issue was not IE8 but the MS JVM.

Searching the knowledge base:

https://secure.logmein.com/US/support/free/

with "activex hangs"

Gives the following:

Why can't I download the ActiveX plugin in Internet Explorer 8?

This is a known issue with Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine and Internet Explorer. This affects not only our ActiveX control, but many others as well. The Microsoft Java Virtual Machine can be removed using the tutorial below:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

Once removed, you should restart your computer and then try connecting to LogMeIn again. If you do not want to uninstall Microsoft Java Virtual Machine, you may download and use the Firefox web browser:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

I'm not an M$ fan but I'm married to IE because of SharePoint at work.  Chrome is crap (font issues while printing) and I'm not seeing anything past a protest vote w/ Firefox.  Removing the MS JVM did the trick on my one IE8 machine that did not work w/ LogMeIn as the "local" machine.

kpg
New Contributor
kpg

OP here, just to followup - uninstalling the Microsoft VM as described fixed this and one other ActiveX Yellow-bar install hang that occured just today.

Thnaks, Rick V.