New Contributor
spoon

How do you transfer files?

So we know that LogMeIn Free, sadly, does not support file transfer. So when you need to transfer a file - how do you do it? I know this has been discussed, but I would like to compile a few ways here, and discuss the pros and cons of each. Hopefully they'll make file transfer native, but it's free so who's complaining? :smileywink: I use the Google Talk client where I have 2 different accounts that I log into.

Google Talk

Pros: It allows me to transfer individual files/whole folders, direct connection, relatively quick.

Cons: Yet another application I have to install, launch

New Contributor
John C

Re: How do you transfer files?

Just email them to the recipient on the remote PC??

John C

New Contributor
jeffbyte

I use sendthisfile.com - that way I can send very large files that clog up and won't send via email. Works like a charm.
New Contributor
VaiTech

I use MS Skydrive that allows 5 GB of storage. Or also i've been using MS Mesh folder sharing which makes life simple. Both of which are also Free!
New Contributor
SuperSport1966

Windows Live Mesh Folder Sharing.  Works GREAT for your own computers, but for customers or family, not so good.  They need to install the program too.  I'd say Live Mesh Remote Control is a bit better if you've got the client installed on BOTH computers.  But for Browser Remote Control, LogMeIn is better by far.
New Contributor
Bean789

I often save a back up of the file on the desktop I am accessing, then simply attach to an email to myself.  For QBKS files that are large, unless you are using the Accountant's Edition and need to export back to the original file, you can back up larger files as Portable files and then email to yourself.  I use the same method for reports that I get from the client data and just compile the reports, save to desk top and then attach to an email to myself.  This allows me to open and print the report where I am located. 
Contributor
Philipp2

I usually just attach to an email or, if too large, I copy them to our FTP server that can be accessed from either end.
New Contributor
memphismonkey

Take a look a running yourself a much better SSL file server.  Check out CrushFTP.  Free versions for Mac, PC and Linux.  It's a breeze to setup, more secure than FTP and has lots of cool plugins. 

Or use BOX.net or someother free web based document sharing service.  

K.I.S.S is always the answer ;)

Keep

It

Simple

Stupid

New Contributor
memphismonkey

Oh and there is an alternate which is nice as well but not as user friendly and only runs on Windows and not FREE.  It does provide the added benefit of being able to do SSL tunnels (VPN) to other services running on your support networks. BarracuddaDrive is the name.  Worth a look.

Enjoy

New Contributor
cooter

I use an FTP i host at home.  No limits and my upload is pretty decent.