Anon78284

Logmein Disabled?

Apologies if the answer is obvious -- I've only just got Logmein Free. It works fine and I can access my main office machine from the laptop wherever I am.
HOWEVER,
returning to the main machine with Logmein loaded, I found it disabled -- because a new version was available.
Since the purpose of Logmein is to connect to this machine from my laptop while travelling, such disabling is a disaster and means I can't access the main machine until I get back to the office.
Does this happen often and what can be done about it?
Thanks in advance.
Anon78692

RE: Logmein Disabled?

Something has changed since the upgrade.  This wonderful tool used to be firewall friendly. Now, it seems to fail at work.
VIP Contributor
KGHalbe

How do you know that it was disabled because a new version was available ?  Did you see a message to that effect ?

I have never seen such message myself, and am jut trying to help find a solution - so I need to know what exactly you saw.

--

KGHalbe

(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an employee of LMI, nor do I have any financial concern in LMI. I am strictly a HAPPY USER of LMI products. I am using PC version and XP SP2. Other systems or versions may act different than described above.)
Anon78284

Thank you for responding.
LOGMEIN was disabled because the Logo in the status bar (bottom right on my XP +SP2 machine) of the Host machine had a red cross within it and the balloon said "Disabled".
I confess I did not try using the laptop to link to it -- fortunately I was located by the main machine at the time and not away travelling.
VIP Contributor
KGHalbe

What I was getting at, is that LogMeIn does not disable itself just because there is an update in the wings.  It was disabled for other reasons - not because of an update.

It could have been a temporary interruption from your ISP, or other internet factor, or it could have been something on the machine that caused the internet connection to not function - and that caused LMI to become disabled.

There are many reasons that it can happen, and most of them are out of LMI's hands.  If a remote connection is so important that you can't do without it, you should really have a backup plan.  Even that, can't guarantee you access.  Suppose there was a power failure in the area and you tried accessing the machine.  There is NOTHING that you can do in a case like that, and there is NO ONE who can guarantee that won't happen.

--

KGHalbe

(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an employee of LMI, nor do I have any financial concern in LMI. I am strictly a HAPPY USER of LMI products. I am using PC version and XP SP2. Other systems or versions may act different than described above.)
Anon78692

What I'm saying is that ever since the 4.0 upgrade, I cannot use it on Machines hosted at my office.  Nor, can I use it from my office to reach machines elsewhere.

VIP Contributor
KGHalbe

The common denominator seems to be your office.  Maybe they installed some new patches, or hardware, that is blocking incoming and outgoing access. 

4.0 has been out for quite a long while, and there have been many smaller updates since.  I don't think that the program is the problem you are experiencing, but something to do with the work computers.

That is just my opinion, based on what you have posted.

--

KGHalbe

Anon78284

Thank you for the clarification - I was pretty sure I was answering the wrong question.
However your answer gives further cause for worry -- if the internet goes down for whatever cause and comes back up again, does that mean that LOGMEIN will be disabled thereby and not re-enable itself? Is there no way to set LOGMEIN to try reconnecting periodically?
Other than hoping it won't happen, the only alternative would be to set up someone to come in and reboot the machine if I can't get a connection when I am away.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
LogMeIn Contributor
SKeough

When the Internet connection drops, LogMeIn does not Disable, It goes into 'Enabled but Offline'  Status.  The only way LMI will show up as disabled is if the service LogMeIn is disabled/stopped/malfunctioning.  If this occured since the 4.0.x.xxx update, then try uninstalling/reinstalling.  If it continues, contact us.
VIP Contributor
KGHalbe

It would NOT be a bad idea to set up someone to reboot the machine if necessary, while you are away.  It would be better to have someone ready to do it, if needed for ANY reason, rather than not have anyone and need the computer rebooted.

If the internet goes down, and comes back up again, LMI will come back online automatically.  I am not sure of the timing, but it tries to connect every so many minutes if the connection is lost.  When the connection is returned, LMI will sense it and come back online for you.

--

KGHalbe