Anon147510

Logmein Free - how to add remote machines without physical visit?

Hi all

New to logmein so please bear with me but have read the whole userguide. 

I want to simply help friends and family by remoting in but I think the install process is too complex for them.

Firstly, during this process I note that I would have to visit the machines personally, or pass over my account details.  This isn't suitable.

Therefore to make this product (OK I know I'm harping on about a the Free version) usable I would like to provide (link or app) a host install app that doesn't require MY login details, or request them to create an account. 

I suspect that ITreach is designed in this way, but my usage will be VERY intermittent and I cannot justify even the sensible charges for this product.

Regards
Lea
VIP Contributor
Andy Harvey

RE: Logmein Free - how to add remote machines without physical visit?

Hi Lea,

Thanks for the message & for choosing LogMeIn.

The only method of adding computers advocated by LogMeIn is:

• Physically go to the computer you want to remotely access
  • At that computer, log in to your LogMeIn account
  • Go to your LogMeIn My Computers page and click on "Add computer"
  • Follow the steps to download the software onto that computer
  • Once installation is complete, you can go to any other Internet-enabled machine and remotely access the computer after logging in to your LogMeIn account
     Please note: The computer you use to access remote machine with does not need to have LogMeIn installed on it. 

This is a very simple overview of what you need to do. If you experience issues, please search the forums and/or the Support knowledge base to see if the issue has been encountered before - it probably has - and follow the advice there.

As you've established yourself, LogMeIn IT Reach allows users to send remote installation links.

The answer to your question (that I removed) is yes it does breach the terms and conditions.

So, LogMeIn Free does need you to physically be at the machines you need to access remotely to ensure that your account is 100% secure. Not what you wanted to read, I suspect, but that is our policy.

Andy
  • vog
    New Contributor
    vog

There wouldn't be any security if you could remotely install it.  What's to prevent me from installing it on your machine?  Assuming there was a way in?

Anyway, the installation process is pretty easy, go here, login, add a computer.. done.

Or, you could see if remote desktop is enable, and try to remote desktop in to their computer, and do it yourself.  But you'll still need their IP.  Send them screenshots if  you have to?
    Anon147695

my own solution is i will give my logmein account to the pc i want to access and let him install the software and add his pc.
    Anon147510

Hi vog

Sorry, but I think you have misunderstood.  I'm not advocating a silent install, but one that when initiated by the client the host simply has to click one/two links to install some kind of ActiveX.  This is how (dare I mention it) the other major remote access provider resolves these complexities and retains user friendliness.

No doubt LogMeIn also understands these requirements and their IT reach product achieves this simplification.

You are joking re RDC right?  Have you ever tried walking users thorough the complexities of opening ports on their firewalls, both hardware and software, configuring Vista/XP to allow RDC  then on top of that their ISP probably blocks port 3389 by default!!  Arhhh!!  In fact that's exactly the reason I'm here and why LogMeIn has a substantial market place - amonst other reasons obviously.

Hi Andy

Thanks for your honest reply.  Of course if (when) I fall in love with LogMeIn I could justify purchasing ITReach to my Infrastructure team, but until then it looks like personal use only!

didoy1

Yes, I pondered that too but with the addition of using two passwords, one for me the other handed out on a temporary basis - however I suspect that's also in breach of the T&Cs and if it's not it will be soon... :(

Oh, one last point - watch out for

Kris: don't advertise competitor product in this Forum. Thanks.

Thanks all
    Lea
    Anon147510

Kris: don't advertise competitor product in this Forum. Thanks.

Kris

I find that removal substantially frustrating and especially as I went out of my way not to mention your direct competitor in the first place.  My link was simply to beta product from Microsoft (guess you'll remove this text too)!

That type of censorship has seriously jeopardised LogMeIn's chance of ever winning my business and I find myself quite frustrated by it.

In fact, how do you think I found LogMeIn in the first place - actually corporately we already use your main competitor's products, but more importantly I use Google.  In fact most the world uses Google and LogMeIn also PAY to be listed.

The fact remains that this is not a public forum, LMI has complete censorship and clearly you intend to use it in the most minor cases.

One last point, admittedly I have only briefly read the 'Legal Info' page but it doesn't reference anything about mentioning competitors nor do the Sticky's in the forum!

Disappointed I have to say and it's not what I would expect from corporate bodies nowadays.

Lea 
    LogMeIn Contributor
    Kris

LeaUK,

Please don't take it so serious. LMI has their own interest and it is not their interest to advertise other competitor's (let it be Microsoft or any other company) products in their own Forum. You should understand that. Not to mention, that you accepted the 'LogMeIn Forum Terms and Conditions' before you clicked the Submit button so you already know that the moderators can edit/move/delete/etc. the forum posts. This is the offical, moderated LogMeIn User Forums hosted by LogMeIn so please understand that you cannot advertise competitor products here.

Thank you.
    Anon141052

Would it make sense for you to set up the remote person with secondary access to your account, in essence giving them their own login to your account, then have them add their computer to the account.  Once that is done, you can restrict their access to that computer only and not any of your other computers.  You could even remove them from your account after that. 

That might be a bit of a chore for you, based on what you described as their lack of skill, but in the long run, would permit you to get logmein on the desired computer.
    claire
    Anon147510

LeaUK,

Please don't take it so serious. LMI has their own interest and it is not their interest to advertise other competitor's (let it be Microsoft or any other company) products in their own Forum. You should understand that. Not to mention, that you accepted the 'LogMeIn Forum Terms and Conditions' before you clicked the Submit button so you already know that the moderators can edit/move/delete/etc. the forum posts. This is the offical, moderated LogMeIn User Forums hosted by LogMeIn so please understand that you cannot advertise competitor products here. 

Thank you.

Hi Kris

Thank you for your response.

In the opinion of many, censorship is futile and extremely poor business practise.  LMI should listen to customers and openly discuss, even welcome their competitors whether in public or private forums.  But that's the opinion of many successful businesses - not all!

So be it - however I wonder if that's the corporate viewpoint or just yours?

Moving on, thanks Claire.  An interesting point.  I guess what I'm looking for is something comparable with ITReach's method of simple install but say free for 1-5 hosts.  Of course everyone wants something for free and I congratulate LMI for providing LMI Free. 

The purpose of free apps is too hook and tantalise and so far LMI aren't doing too bad.

Lea
    VIP Contributor
    Andy Harvey

ORIGINAL: LeaUK

...The fact remains that this is not a public forum, LMI has complete censorship and clearly you intend to use it in the most minor cases.

Lea 

Hi Lea,

This is not a public forum. It is a forum designed to allow users of LogMeIn products to discuss LogMeIn's products and how to use them and to resolve any issues. We are at pains to ensure that every time a post is made, the user must accept our forum terms and conditions. By and large, the editing of posts is a rare step.

I hope you become a long-term forum member. Please take a look at the various threads and I think you will be surprised at the freedom members have to honestly talk about the merits - and sometimes the perceved shortcomings - of our products. No post is ever edited for critisising LogMeIn - as long as it is written constructively and does not use bad language. Inaccurate rants (which yours was not, I add) and posts breaching the T&Cs will either be edited or, in extreme cases, deleted.

LogMeIn reserves the right to remove any reference to any competitors' products. No company is going to allow its forums to be a place where people can discuss the merits of or promote alternative solutions. We're happy to let download.com and other similar sites act as such venues.

So stick with us, please. We're confident that our products will persuade you to do so.

Andy

As for the discussion surrounding different passwords; however much you trust the third party, this cannot be guaranteed to be 100% safe. Would you willingly hand over the credentials to your personal email account? I would not personally. Handing over your LogMeIn credentials is potentially giving people access to much more sensitive data.

Think about the other people whose computers you have access to - would they feel comfortable knowing that you share access to their machines? That is what you do when you share your LogMeIn credentials.