Contributor
Anon73410

Power management on remote PC

Still trying LMI. I wouldn't want to leave my home PC running forever (24/7) for that odd occasion I will need to access it remotely. So, Windows Power Management is essential -- ideally hibernation or at least suspension. I would guess that in that case Wakeup-on-LAN would wake up the system and then just before disconnecting I could ask my remote PC to hibernate/suspend again. In case the connection crashes, my home PC will still go into hibernation/suspension after x minutes of inactivity anyway. Does this work for you? There is always the possibility that the remote PC crashes of course. This means it will stay on until someone resets it manually, possibly a month later in the case of the guy featuring in the promotional material taking his holidays on some tropical island. But Windows crashing is very rear these days in my experience. One reservation I have is that my ADSL router would wake up the machine all the time because of random inbound traffic (mallicious port scans etc which happen all the time). I am afraid that without power management LMI would not be that useful to me.

LogMeIn Contributor
Kris

RE: Power management on remote PC

No. LMI can't work if the PC hybernates/suspends. Wake on Lan is no solution because (as it's name says) it's only working on LANs but not on the Internet.
Contributor
Anon73410

I believe that the BIOS can detect activity on various ports including USB and Ethernet and wake up the PC at least from suspended mode -- my USB ports wake it up from hibernate as well. The problem is that the router sends noise traffic to the PC that would wake it up all the time. Does this mean everyone using remote desktop facilities like LMI leave their machine on 24 hours a day every day when eg they are away on holidays?! If this is true I don't see this ever becoming very popular in Europe at least with the increasing energy efficiency concerns. Too bad because it would be useful. 
VIP Contributor
KGHalbe

I leave my computer on 24/7 because I never know where I might be when I had a need (or desire) to log into my computer.

MANY businesses leave their computers on 24/7 because of things being sent to and from it automatically during the night, whether it be for business, or running maintenance on the computer.

Not everyone leaves their computer on 24/7, but if the computer is off (or in sleep or hibernation mode), they just can't access their computer at that time.

--

KGHalbe

(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an employee of LMI, nor do I have any financial concern in LMI. I am strictly a HAPPY USER of LMI products. I am using PC version and XP SP2. Other systems or versions may act different than described above.)
New Contributor
bkummel

Re: Power management on remote PC

I noticed recently that one of the machines I have set up with LogMeIn has a "Switch on this computer" button if it is shut down. I tried it once and it indeed powered on the machine remotely. But I don't know why only one of my machines has this and the others don't...