Trusted Contributor
JeremyS.

Verizon FiOS issues...

If you are using a FIOS Internet connection with a Verizon-provided Actiontec, Linksys or D-Link router, you may have trouble connecting to our websites. This is a known issue caused by Verizon's default configuration of these routers, and is not something LogMeIn has direct control over.

To resolve this, we recommend changing the MTU size (Maximum Transmission Unit) to a lower value. This setting can be found in the router. If you are not able to change this configuration, please contact Verizon to have them implement the change for you.

Verizon's contact phone number is location specific, and can be looked up here:
http://www22.verizon.com/residential/support/contactus

Please note, LogMeIn Representatives are not allowed to change any router settings for you.
Jeremy Soltys
LogMeIn Customer Support Rep
Contributor
Anon87309

RE: Verizon FiOS issues...

This is not a Verizon issue. Verizon uses PPPoE which, for which an MTU size of 1492 is optimal. However, using an MTU size of 1492 will not allow me to access the LogMeIn web site. If I drop to 1472, it works fine.

I believe this is a problem with the LogMeIn server or router configuration. Why else would the LogMeIn web site be the only web site I'm unable to access? I suspect LogMeIn is blocking MTU discovery.

Contributor
Anon87309

To prove this has nothing to do with Verizon (or any other ISP), I ran the following tests over a network served by a dedicated dual T-1 line via Sprint:

root:ping secure.logmein.com -f -s 1492
PING www.logmein.com.akadns.net (69.25.20.193) 1492(1520) bytes of data.
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
--- www.logmein.com.akadns.net ping statistics ---
235 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4156ms
, ipg/ewma 17.762/0.000 ms

In the first example above, I used a packet size of 1492 bytes. As you can see, there was 100% packet loss. This indicates that MTU discovery is being blocked by the remote side.

root:ping secure.logmein.com -f -s 1472
PING www.logmein.com.akadns.net (69.25.20.193) 1472(1500) bytes of data.
--- www.logmein.com.akadns.net ping statistics ---
304 packets transmitted, 302 received, 0% packet loss, time 4089ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 26.685/45.299/182.172/32.622 ms, pipe 14, ipg/ewma 13.495/34.147 ms
root:

When I reduced the packet size to 1472, there was no packet loss.

This is clearly a problem with the network at LogMeIn. I find it rather disconcerting that they would blame the problem on Verizon.

If the people at LogMeIn acknowledge and fix their issue, i'll continue to use the service. Otherwise, I'll switch to GoToMyPC. I don't like doing business with any company that thinks I need to de-tune my network in order to accommodate their misconfigured site.

Frequent Contributor
shippwreck

can you actually see a difference with any program you use between the 1492 and 1472 mtu? Personnally I can't see a difference in performance. Other than one works with Logmein and the other one doesn't.  Where do you notice the difference? 
LogMeIn Moderator
SKeough

Actually it is a Localized Verizon issue, the way their new infrastructure handles MTU Translation, and I say this because I have FiOS right now, and never had an issue.  I got rid of that D-Link Router and bought another one (A better D-Link ), and I tweak my network settings on all my computers.

Oh, by the way, when FiOS came out, it worked fine with us, no problems.  About 2 ~ 3 months ago, something changed, and it wasn't us.  So if we worked fine before whatever change, but not fine after, and we didn't do anything, why exactly is it our issue?  We have not change anything in our networking at all, at least not since I've been here, going on 1 year now.

Verizon uses 1492, Windows uses 1500 (Standard LAN MTU Size), other Internet providers use 1454 (T1, Cable, etc.)  other PPPoE providers also use 1454, depending on the provider.