Contributor
TysonN
Accepted Solution

Hamachi and Windows 8.1

After upgrading my Windows 8 install to 8.1 this past week I noticed that Hamachi would no longer connect to any other clients on my network. There was a 'tunnel error' on all active clients. After hunting around a bit I noticed that the tunnel adapter was no longer showing up among the network connections in Windows.

After reinstalling the hamachi client I got the adapter back and was able to connect to other clients normally.

Just an FYI for everyone 

New Contributor
Protonauta

Re: Hamachi and Windows 8.1

Hola, me pasaba igual. Lo he solucionado con este tutorial. Está en español pero es fácil de entender http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnjb0gH7ecs

Contributor
famThomas

I had the same problem and reinstallig Hamachi brought back the adapter successfully. I have for all other clients a green dot. However I cannot access any file or directory on the other machines. From other machines back to the windows 8.1 client surprisingly it works.

Ping gets answer, just no file access. Did you have file access both ways?

Thanks,

Thomas

Contributor
TysonN

I am seeing the same thing, never thought to check remoting into my 8.1 machines. I have a feeling its just overactive firewall settings. Will see if I can figure out and post back

New Contributor
jthore

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 and am having the same problem, but when I try to reinstall the client, I get an error message: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Hope someone can help soonest - this is affecting my clients and they're not happy -

Contributor
famThomas

I had that also. Then I uninstalled it first and reinstalled it again. Then it worked. But you have to join your networks again and it gets a new ID.

New Contributor
jthore

Did you get the DLL message?

Contributor
TysonN

[ Edited ]

I do not have a good answer for the DLL issue you are experiencing but I can tell you that I have seen a few clients have issues with the 8.1 upgrade. What they all had in common was that they had been heavily used machines that had many install/uninstalled and even beta software from microsoft from time to time. Those were the only machines that I saw that gave wierd and unpredictable glitches after the upgrade. I fell back on just reimaging from a full 8.1 disk and have not had problems.

Contributor
TysonN

In my case the issues I was having with RDP through Hamachi after the 8.1 upgrade were, as I suspected, due to firewall issues. 

I noticed that there are a number of settings that seem to have been altered after the upgrade. Power settings were the first thing I noticed and I am sure there are others. The firewall is another and one that hamachi depends on to function properly. A fresh install takes care of most of it but I had to go into the individual application firewall settings and allow both Hamachi AND Remote Desktop through the firewall. After that everything seems to be working fine.

Contributor
famThomas

[ Edited ]

I have found the problem of having no file access via Hamachi: Upon upgrade to Windows 8.1 it did not install the Client for Microsoft Networks. Might be this is because Microsoft wants us to use their Home Network. After installing the client on the Adapters and rebooting the machine, Hamachi works again like a charm.