New Contributor
echelon6

Hamachi conflicts with internet - network adapter conflict?

When hamachi is first installed, both internet and hamachi works (I can VPN to my offsite server as if it was part of the LAN)

After a reboot or shutdown, the internet doesnt work. If I go into adapter settings and disable the Hamachi network adapter, internet springs to life. If I then re-enable the adapter, internet dies.

I run win7 64bit, and this problem occurs regardless of whether I use DHCP or static local ip.

Anyone have suggestions? I really need to fix this problem, losing hair over the frustration it's caused so far. __________________

New Contributor
Volant

Re: Hamachi conflicts with internet - network adapter conflict?

Just want to chime in and say that I have the same problem.

Suddenly, browsers can't access any websites. If I reset the local area connection it works again for a while. Disabling the Hamachi network adapter fixes it "permanently".

However, if streams and IM programs (Windows Live Messenger and Skype) seem unaffected by this. They keep going when browsers can't get through.

This does not happen all the time. It can go for a while with no problems, then suddenly act up really bad. Sometimes the problem disappears after resetting the local area connection a couple of times. Sometimes I have to restart. Sometimes it goes away by itself after a while.

It happens on both my laptop and desktop.

I have reordered the network adapters like they should be (local area connection on the top, hamachi at the bottom), and the network metrics are also set according to the FAQ. (Hamachi at 9000, local area connection at 100)

I had the same problem about a year ago and have stayed away from Hamachi since then, but now I've started to rely on it again, and this really breaks the whole experience.

Aside from this problem, Hamachi is great. So easy to set up!

Active Contributor
ColdPetRat

Me too.  Only seems to happen with my WiFi adapter at home.  Never happens to my ethernet adapter at work.  I'm running 2.0.2.85.  It happens on .111 too, but I reverted for some reason that I'm failing to remember right now.

It "feels" like a routing issue, in that the hamachi clients are still accessible, but nothing can be accessed that would go directly through the NIC's default gateway.  I seem to remember that "route print" didn't show anything suspicious, but now that others have the same problem then I will try messing with the routes and see if one of them is causing the problem.

Anyone on here have relevant multi-adapter Windows network debugging skills they'd like to share?

BTW, after disabling and re-enabling the hamachi network adapter, you can get hamachi working again by stopping and restarting the "LogMeIn Hamachi 2.0 Tunneling Engine" service.  You don't have to reboot.

Active Contributor
ColdPetRat

Another detail: when this happens, I *CAN* still access my wifi router directly (with ping or http), so the one-hop route directly to the router is still being routed correctly.  I *CANNOT* access the cable modem that is one hop beyond the wifi router.

Active Contributor
ColdPetRat

Yep, I was right, it's a routing issue.  The fix is a little tricky, it's like this:

1. Run an elevated cmd.exe (press start, type cmd, press ctrl-shift-enter, approve UAC prompt).  Make sure cmd.exe window says "Administrator:" in the title bar.

2. Run "route print" and then in the first section "Interface List" find the leftmost number for the line that corresponds to the "Hamachi Network Interface."  For me this was 20.

3. Run "route delete 0.0.0.0 IF 20" (replace 20 with your number from step 2).

That's it.  Before I did this, I had a line in the "Persistent Routes" section that listed the hamachi interface handling 0.0.0.0 with default metric, even though the line in the "Active Routes" section listed the metric as 9256.  I'm not sure what all that means, but Hamachi still works fine after doing this (I'm not sure why it would need a catch-all 0.0.0.0 route anyway).

Frequent Contributor
vanowm

Is this permanent solution or temporary when problem occur?

New Contributor
Volantk

It is temporary, but you don't have to do it often. In my case, perhaps a couple of times a month, and that's a worst-case scenario. It's also pretty quick to do after a couple of times.
New Contributor
juliantje15

That worked for me!!

New Contributor
sansoomer

None of the lines correspond to hamachi what do i do?

i disabled it in network settings and i have no idea how to re-enable it.

New Contributor
AlexTM

You don't have to find the interface number for hamachi.

You could just submit the following command to an elevated cmd prompt:

ROUTE DELETE 0.0.0.0 MASK 0.0.0.0 5.0.0.1