Active Contributor
jainf
Accepted Solution

How come I can't ping people but people can ping me?

I search the forums and I can't find a solution for me yet. I run on windows 7 64 bit, I use microsoft security essentials for AV and I use default windows firewall. 

I can't ping other people even though we have a direct tunnel, but other peopel can ping me. This problem only applies to my computer, even though my sister uses the same modem she does not have this problem.

Any suggestions?

Advisor

Re: How come I can't ping people but people can ping me?

pings are most often accepted or rejected by the firewall

if you set your hamachi network type or location to "Home" the Windows 7 automatically setup the firewall to let the operating system respond to pings on that network interface.

see here for more info

read to the bottom of that post for W7 info and another link to a MS page

Active Contributor
jainf

sorry for the long response, i was not aware someone reply and i just gave up, but..

i have already change my hamachi to home network but i still can not ping, i can send messages to people and direct tunnel but it just doesn't want to ping. any other ideas?

Advisor

jainf wrote:...i have already change my hamachi to home network but i still can not ping,...

Having Hamachi as a Home network type on your computer lets others ping you.

As you stated, the problem is that you cannot ping others.

The solution might be to ask others to set the Hamachi network to the Home type.

Active Contributor
jainf

ty :D

New Contributor
wesleyjonathan2

Advisor

jainf wrote:

ty :D

yw :-) 

New Contributor
Xytaglyph

i have this same problem and yet it still will not work even after my friends changed theirs to a home network

Advisor

I've seen where other people suggest changing router settings that deal with blocking pings from WAN (Wide Area Network, i.e. the internet). But I would not think that such settings would matter to Hamachi connections. My guess is that the computers that cannot be pinged have their firewall setup to block pings. This firewall could be one built into the operation system (OS) or one that is a part of a security suite.

For the Windows Vista OS and above, it is possible to set the Hamachi network connection to the Home network type and still have the OS firewall block pings. Here is a link to some info on Vista's settings:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/allow-pings-icmp-echo-request-through-your-windows-vist...

Windows 7 is about the same. 

New Contributor
darkboy564

I have the same problem. I can't ping others but they can ping me, i already tried to turn off my widows 7 firewall but i still can't ping. I dind't had this error when i used hamachi before.

Can anyone help me?