New Contributor
TheChad

Re: How to route all internet traffic through Hamachi?

[ Edited ]

Old post but should still apply.  Figured I'd put this out on the internet since I just spent a few hours toying to make things work.

Routing all your internet traffic though hamachi is easy.

1. Connect up to your local internet, get Hamachi all connected and green.

2. Once your connected and your computer is assigned an IP for the remote network (NOT Hamachi virtual IP) open a new cmd prompt as an administrator. [Right click on cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"]

3. Enter the following command: route -p add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 <Remote Network Gateway IP> metric 1

My command was "route -p add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 metric 1"

This tells windows that the Hamachi established network is better than the local network you initially connected to. (and gives the connection a default gateway... bla bla bla)

That's it, one command.  Verify using whatismyip.com before and after, the IP shown should change.

[Some more info, I'm using Hamachi in a Gateway configuration.]

[You'll have to re-run this command each time you connect, I put mine in a .bat file.  A static route might work to resolve having to re-run it each time but I haven't tested it that far.]

New Contributor
jason604

Thanks for posting those steps...it's exactly what I'm tying to accomplish. However, I still have one issue:

When I designate my home PC as the gateway unit, my system (Vista 64) creates a bridge, containing both my physical NIC, and the virtual Hamachi NIC. The status of the bridge tells me that a cable is not connected, even though everything is indeed wired correctly.

The system, once bridged, is not getting an IP address from my router, even though everything is configured for DHCP, and there are more than enough addresses available for assignment. So once the bridge is created, my PC is offline. If I remove the bridge, I can reestablish connection, but Hamachi won't work as a gateway.

So...any suggestions from here?

Thanks!

New Contributor
Grimmyr13

Hi, i have a few questions about ths. How do u setup a remote network? The computer im connecting to through hamachi is Gateway config and so is m client. There is a setting to setup a remote network but i have no idea what networ address to use. Secondly where is the "Remote Network Gateway IP" located? With these answers i can finish thet setup. Thx

Active Contributor
pjraygun

[ Edited ]

great, thanks for posting. question though... so i putt the ip of my home remote router as default gateway? or the ip running hamachi in gateway mode?

tried both, no luck yet

thanks

pj

Active Contributor
Pooneil

Lifehacker did a tutorial on securing public wifi browseing through Hamachi a a year ago using a proxy called Privoxy. It has worked well for me.

http://lifehacker.com/5763170/how-to-secure-and-encrypt-your-web-browsing-on-public-networks-with-ha...

Active Contributor
pjraygun

yes, thanks, i use foxyproxy.. but i want to tunnle all traffic through hamachi, not just http... how?

Active Contributor
jym_nils

to route all the traffic just put a sock5 proxy in one machine and use a proxifier like proxycap to route all the load to the other side

New Contributor
powerix

Hello Alphanaut

Man you just saved my life , I got tired from searching to find a way for sharing my internet , Thank you so much :smileyhappy: