Frequent Contributor
AndreasVDH

64-bit Linux Support

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I have posted many times and gotten NO ANSWER.

When will you guys allow 64-bit Linux users to use your service? All you have to do is re-compile the firefox Linux plugin instead of for i586 for x86_64. There is no Java plugin for 64-bit so this is really importatnt to get working, otherwise I would be happy with just the java.

I have posted many times and even emailed someone @logmein.com and gotten no response.

Warmest regards,

Andreas

I removed your phone number for privacy reasons.  -AndyS

Message Edited by AndyS on 12-03-2008 09:27 AM
Trusted Contributor
AndyS

Re: 64-bit Linux Support

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your feature suggestion.  I'm sorry that we can't always make time to respond to every single request (and I'm sure you've seen how many requests we have for this feature among others).  I can't promise anything, but I can say that I hear you.

Thanks again.

Andy Stefano
Community Relationship Manager, LogMeIn Inc.
Frequent Contributor
AndreasVDH

Andy:

I hope you really understand there is no way for 64-bit Linux users to access a LMI-enabled PC. ActiveX (obviously) does not work and there is no browser plug-in for 64-bit Linux. Java would work just fine, except there is no 64-bit Sun Java plugin. Please do make the effort to get my message directly to the team that developed the Linux plugin

Regards,

Andreas
Contributor
spr0k3t

There is now a 64bit Java plugin which does work with LogMeIn systems.  I have tried it on Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 10, and CentOS 5.  The plugin is a very early release and slow.  Over time I expect the plugin to increase in speed.  The 32bit LogMeIn plugin works fantastic in a 32bit browser, but yes, a 64bit version would make my day.
New Contributor
Amakryss

Hi there! - there is a 64 bit version now? Where could I find that? - You say there is one now. Thanks, A.
Frequent Contributor
AndreasVDH

I can not find it on the "official" page, which is located here: https://secure.logmein.com/labs.asp?lang=en

I seem to have the plugin loading via nspluginwrapper... at least about:plugins shows the mime types and other details as I recall it showing on a 32-bit system. However I can not get the HTTP-server on the host machine to feed me the html page that will attempt to use the Firefox plugin no matter what prefernce I select. No matter what I do I am fed the pages for JPG control (because there is no 64-bit Java plugin!)

I have attempted to contact support but all I get is a druid reading "Linux" and sending me their Linux support article. THEY HAVE ZERO READING COMPREHENSION.

Contributor
spr0k3t

Amakryss wrote:
Hi there! - there is a 64 bit version now? Where could I find that? - You say there is one now. Thanks, A.

The 64bit Java browser plugin can be found here: https://jdk6.dev.java.net/6uNea.html
New Contributor
64bitMan

So, I know that this topic was considered solved with the 64-bit Java plugin suggestion.  But I'd like to add another suggestion to this thread as I just ran into this problem even with the java plugin installed (it looks like the version installed by the sun-java6-plugin package from ubuntu 9.10 is installing a 64-bit JRE/Plugin that's incompatible with the current version of logmein).  So what I did, was I downloaded the 32-bit version of this plugin and installed it by using nspluginwrapper (the same procedure typically used for flash support in 64-bit linux).  If you download the .tar.gz version, you should find an .so file.

After you download that file you have to follow the following instructions:

1) untar the file: (e.g. tar xvf ./logmein-client-1.0.387-1.tar.gz)

2) make sure you have it in a directory that you can reference and store for future use (I have mine in ~/Source/logmein-client-1.0.387-1/libractrl.so)

3) make sure you have nspluginwrapper installed (in ubuntu 9.10, if you don't, you should be able to type "sudo apt-get install nspluginwrapper" to get this to work)

4) run the following command as root or sudo: "sudo nspluginwrapper -i ~/Source/logmein-client-1.0.387-1/libractrl.so"

5) restart firefox

Number four is important to run as root, installing the plugin in user space did NOT appear to work.

Hope this helps someone.

Contributor
beachez

Thank you very much for taking the time to share that info 64bitMan!!!  It worked like a charm the first time! 

For others, make sure you have your Java Plugins installed (this can be done through the Ubuntu Software Center in 9.10, just search "java").  It will give you an html version until your java is running, then you get the full version. 

New Contributor
Giovane76

When I digit the step 4, it says:

"nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for libractrl.so"

Ah, I'm stucked now! any solution?

Thank you very much!