I ran into an issue where SELinux was blocking the remote access files from working. That casued me to get stuck with Java, until I stumbled on the SELinux warnings. Once I loosened the retrictions, it went right through...plugin works great!
If you also happen to be running SELinux, check your activity log to see if there are any warnings.
I'm having trouble with the this plugin and the new version of Ubuntu.. Jaunty 9.04. My Firefox version is 3.0.10 and sometimes when I attempt to take remote control of a pc, the entire browser will crash. If I retry without any other tabs open, then it seems to be successful. The problem seems to be related to other open tabs. I did not have this trouble with the previous version of Ubuntu.
I also now have trouble with keyboard focus. Sometimes when I successfully log in, I cannot type on the remote computer. The mouse works just fine but not the comptuer. If I click on the plugin's titlebar (not the browser title bar) and then try the keyboard again, the keyboard then works again.
I have the same crash problem with Firefox on Ubuntu 9.04. When I restart Firefox and choose to restore the session, it seems to work sometimes. However it is quite prone to crashing, and the keyboard bug is present here also.
I am using PCLinuxOS 2009 and Firefox 3.0.7. I installed the linux plugin and my screen would always freeze just at the point of showing the connected computers screen. To fix this I did the following:
1. At logmein, click on the computer you want to connect to.
2. Click on "Preferences" (rather than Remote Control).
3. Click on "Remote Control Settings".
4. The top box on the page is "General Settings", in this section is "Default Remote Control". Change this to JAVA (rather than Active X). The other 2 options (Mozilla and HTML) may also work but I haven't yet tried them.
This worked for me. I had tried a number of other things until the Active X caught my eye. It occured to me that Active X is probably a Windows only application. So I changed it to something I know both computers have (JAVA) and it worked.
In my previous message I forgot to mention the last step:
5. Select "Apply" at the bottom of the screen.
I did try out Mozilla and HTML modes. HTML works, Mozilla doesn't. However, the two work differently. The JAVA is smoother, HTML seems to do a single screen update each time the screen changes (with noticeable delays).
My guess is that having ActiveX or Mozilla selected causes the linux plugin to activate since my screen freezes appeared identical for both.
For all you new Linux users (including myself) this information may at least allow you to get LogMeIn working.
I wouldn't pretend to be anything other than a linux noob too. However I think that by selecting the 'Java only' setting removes the whole point of using the plugin that this thread refers to.
If the plugin is installed and working correctly you should be able to leave the 'active x' preference selected on a linux machine and have a much better logmein experience than with the Java option.
I wouldn't know where to begin with what to suggest as to why your machine crashes after a few clicks. If the Java versions works fine you might be better to stick with that and not bother with the plugin. Personally I find the working plugin improves logmein performance considerably, so it might be worth asking a few more questions (and hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than me can reply).