New Contributor
Gaz_hayes

How does Logmein wake up a computer that is shutdown behind a firewall?

I think this technology is amazing! Kudos to Logmein! I REALLY want to know how this works.

The computer is turned off, completely shut down, dead. Yes it is monitoring for wake on LAN packets, but Logmein is not inside my LAN, its outside, behind our corporate firewall. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this feature, its pure AWSOMENESS, but I want to know how it works. I spent an hour searching google and have not come up with any definitive answers, now its 1:30am where I am, and I have to get up at 7am for work, call me the biggest nerd ever but I cant sleep without knowing! The best I can come up with so far is that its either magic, or possibly some kind of underpants stealing gnome?

Can anyone tell me how this really works? Thanks!
New Contributor
notanic

Re: How does Logmein wake up a computer that is shutdown behind a firewall?

I have no idea, but this might be a way to find out:

1) Sleep computer A.

2) Plug in hub between computer A and corporate lan.

3) Plug in laptop to hub and run Wireshark or similar to capture traffic.

4) Use logmein on a different computer to wake up computer A.

5) Look at the capture.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks,

New Contributor
ctct

It only works if you have at least one machine working that is in the same LAN. The Logmein Software of the other Computer is the one that sends the magic WOL packet. :smileyhappy:

Sleep tight!

New Contributor
geekinit

I had wondered if that was how it was possible.  I know LogMeIn is smart enough to go from peer-to-peer if both machines are on the same LAN.  I guess it follows that the WOL packet would be achieved the same way.  Thanks.