Contributor
diegozz281

Turn on a powerd off computer remotely.

[ Edited ]

Is there a way to turn on a powerd off computer remotely? I read something on the logemin website that said that was possible.

Here is the screenshot 

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8338/dibujolz.png

and

Message Edited by diegozz281 on 09-05-2009 09:35 PM
Trusted Contributor
warsawtech

Re: Turn on a powerd off computer remotely.

Depending on the manufacturer (I only work with Dell's and HP's).

1) First I went into the BIOS and power management setting and made sure remote WOL was turned on and low power setting turned off. Setting on monitor to S1 rahter than S5

2) Made sure after the computer was powered up than the NIC setting were set not to aloow the computer to turn off power to the NIC in standby mode and in advanced setting that WOL from LAN was enabled.

Have to do this onsite unless you have New Intel VPro cards that lets you control at the root level

Once this is done you can turn on remotely.

ONE CAVEAT to this....you have to have another LMI computer powered up on the same network. If they are all off...it's a no go!!

:smileysad:

Contributor
diegozz281

[ Edited ]

Wow that is really ---. That sucks. Is there any alternative to powering up a pc remotely?

Trusted Contributor
warsawtech

Another way I use is Wake-On-Lan from http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/  . You have to have Port 7 forwarded to the LAN on your firewall and know the MAC address of the NIC on the PC you want to wake up.

You still have to have the PC set up in the BIOS as I described before for it to work (sometimes)...:smileysurprised:

I went the route of requiring a customer to pay for at least one LMI PRO2 license and that PC stays on (normally a server). From that I use the Central interface to to switch-on any PC I need. On the rare occassion that fails I use the WOL utility. I make it a point to have all my clients PC MAC addresses in a spreadsheet for backup purposes on my laptop and on my USB key that I keep LMI Ignition on.

:smileyindifferent:

Contributor
diegozz281

Hmm alirhgt. Thanks for the help.

One last question though. If i do enable the above mentioned. Is there any security vulnerablities that could occur? Also i have to physically be present at the remote computer to set it up, correct?

Trusted Contributor
warsawtech

Let's face it these days...any ports on your firewall you have open can create issues. I just  figure due-diligence in watching my firewall logs on those where I've open ports in is part of the gig.

Yes, you have to be there to set it up, unless there is someone that you can walk through making the changes :smileysad: ,but like I said before since I mainly work with HP and Dell's I can see the steps in my head so it's not bad walking a novice through the steps. Once they do that I can LMI into it and make the NIC changes in Windows for my other settings.

Good luck....

LogMeIn Contributor
amarton

Wake-on-Lan is built into the new LogMeIn host software:

- You have to configure your computer to allow the network card to bring the machine out of sleep. This is typically enabled by default and may not require any sort of manual configuration at all.

- To turn the computer on from complete power off, the BIOS and your hardware has to support it, and it has to be enabled. This is where you may or may not get lucky.

Once the computer is configured properly, and there are other machines on the same LAN with LogMeIn installed, you will see a "turn on" button in My Computers next to the offline host.

This works well, but you do have to have at least one, powered up and online LogMeIn host on your network that can send out the wake on lan packets to the other, sleeping or shut down machines.

Contributor
diegozz281

I don't undestand that. What do you mean by another computer on the same LAN?
Trusted Contributor
warsawtech

Probably need clarification from you on the following: 

1) Is this just a standalone computer somewhere?

2) Is it on a network with other compters?

If it is a standalone PC then you cannot use LMI to turn it on...as stated by amarton and myself....you have to have another Logmein computer on the same network or LAN already on to use the Switch-on-function:smileysad:

Contributor
diegozz281

Okay. Thanks for the help guys.