New Contributor
Apple73

Hack Attempt?

Why is it that few friends and I are getting hacked attempts from random people trying to login to our accounts with logmein? Today I find out that a friend had a hack attempt where someone logged into his computer.  We have strong passwords, but last 2 days we have had a lot of security issues around Logmein.  Something going on?
Retired LogMeIn Contributor
KevinA

Re: Hack Attempt?

[ Edited ]

Hi there and thanks for coming to the Community. 

Security is our number one concern. That’s why there are multiple layers of security available for your account and computers. For example, to help keep remote access to your computer secure, you can choose to be prompted to enter a one-time security code each time you log in to the LogMeIn web site to access your host computer(s).  These codes can come from a printed list, or you can opt to have one emailed to you each time you log in. Each code can only be used once.  This option will help prevent unauthorized remote access to your computer should someone discover a used security code or your LogMeIn password. (Located in the Security section of your account.)

We also have what’s called a Personal Passwords. By choosing to require the use of a personal password, after entering the Windows Login credentials, the user must type three requested characters of a predefined eight-character password. A given password may be used only once.  For example, if your Personal Password is "password" and you are being asked for the 5th character, you would use the dropdown menu to select the letter "w". This process would help circumvent a keylogger, since you never enter your entire Personal Password at once. (Located in the Security section in the LogMeIn Toolkit on your host computer.) 

More security features include: 

Account Lockout: If there are five failed attempts at accessing your LogMeIn Account, then your account gets locked out, and an email is sent to you informing you of the lockout.  The email also contains a link to remove the lockout from the account.

IP Address lockout: If there are five failed attempts to access your computer, then that user (IP address) is blocked for 30 minutes. This is configurable; so you can set both the number of attempts and the IP lockout timeframe. You can also refuse specific IP addresses, or create a friendly-IP list that allows access only from those IPs that you allow.

SSL encryption: Once a connection is established, all traffic is encrypted with end-to-end 128- to 256-bit SSL encryption.  This is the same technology trusted by major banking institutions to allow secure online banking.

For more detailed information on the security architecture of LogMeIn, download our Security White Paper at: https://secure.logmein.com/documentation/Security/wp_lmi_security.pdf

I hope this covers it. If you have any other questions or concerns I'd be more than happy to help.

Message Edited by KevinA on 11-30-2009 05:11 PM
New Contributor
adesafc

Luckily I was in front of my computer when the screen changed and someone logged in via logmein and started moving my mouse. Quickly pulled the plug on net and uninstalled logmein.  My computer is only added to my personal account so don't know how they got in.  Changed my password now just in case

Advisor
Ken N.

Hi adesafc and Welcome to the Community!

I'm sending you an email regarding this.

Thank you!

Kenneth Newton | Senior User Services Representative
LogMeIn, Inc.
www.LogMeIn.com | www.twitter.com/logmeinhelp
p. +1-866-478-1805
New Contributor
eliab

Boy do I regret installing this program. I now have random people hacking into my computer and what's worse, I cannot seem to uninstall the program. I'm running a Mac OS 10.6.8. I have tried dragging the program to the trash and searching for other files but people are still hacking into my computer. PLEASE give me detailed instructions on how to unistall this thing!!!!

New Contributor
darkdeavl

how do you make friends on logmein and if you tell me i will be your friend.

New Contributor
darkdeavl

My name is SamJanow i want to be your friend if you tell me how to make friends