New Contributor
rummira

How to create desktop shortcut?

Sorry for stupid question, I admit I'm technically challenged.
I remember in the past I was able to create a desktop shortcut to connect to remote computer in one click.
Now I want to use that very handy feature again, but can't find how to do it. I scanned all the pages and I just can't locate that "Create desktop shortcut" link. Would anyone be so kind to point me in which window it is located and how to get there?

Thank you so much
Retired LogMeIn Contributor
Rob H

Re: How to create desktop shortcut?

This should work regardless if you are using Pro2, Free, My Computers, or Central.

1-Log into your account.
2-To the far right of the compuer you want to create a shortcut for, you should see a gear icon under the "Properties" column.
3-Click on the gear icon.
4-From there you should see a "Desktop Shortcut" tab
5-Slect the "Desktop Shortcut" tab abd follow the instructions.
Rob H
LogMeIn Sales Engineer
New Contributor
noslenpar

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll post my question here since my issue is related.

What if the "Desktop Shortcut" tab is not there? After I click the "Properties" gear icon, I only see one tab.

Valued Contributor
Tdavid

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting this question!

You may not see the Desktop Shortcut tab if you are a user of another LogMeIn account and the main account holder has not granted permission to create Desktop Shortcuts. Please contact the main account holder to edit your user permissions. Please see our Knowledge Base article linked below for more information on users and permissions.

http://help.logmein.com/SelfServiceKnowledgeRenderer?type=FAQ&id=kA030000000DGCECA4&search=1&kw=desk...

Tramaine David
User Services Rep
LogMeIn, Inc.
New Contributor
knoxg

Is it possible to set up a shortcut that will connect to the remote machine via LogMeIn Ignition rather than the browser client ?

Active Contributor
eborgoglio

Hello.

I want to create a desktop shortcut to one of my computers. I follow the steps. I can see the tab but when I get in to it, the only option that shows me is to invalidate desktop shortcuts. I did it just in case but still I do not see the option to create a new one.

I am the only user of my account and I have the Free service.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my English.

Regards

Eleonora

Active Contributor
eborgoglio

Hello.

I can see the "Desktop Shortcut" tab but I do not see options to create it. Just option to invalidate.

Could you help me?

I am using free version.

Regards

Eleonora

Active Contributor
Vincentz

Eleonora,

Around June, the Desktop Shortcut option became a LogMeIn Pro only feature.

If you have any existing desktop shortcuts, you can use LogMeIn Ignition for free to replace the Desktop Shortcut functionality.  Ignition is a separate program that you use instead of your web browser and can save either or both your LogMeIn login and remote computer login information so that you can access your computers without typing in user names and passwords.

Open an existing shortcut and you will see a page that says:

Important Information About Desktop Shortcut

Desktop Shortcut is now a Pro-only feature, but we understand how important it is for you to have one-click access to your computers. We hope you find these alternatives helpful and continue to depend on LogMeIn for quality remote access and management.

Ignition for Windows: With Ignition, remote sessions are launched fast, and credentials are saved and encrypted locally. Get Ignition now

Access via Central: Central users can create a link in the Configuration tab that functions the same as a Desktop Shortcut. Any RSS links created for Free or Pro hosts or existing Pro Desktop Shortcuts will still work.

You may see the line "Activate and assign your complimentary license – you will then be prompted to download the Windows app."

Click on the link to get Ignition and you will have a subscription for LogMeIn Ignition.  This subscription is attached to your account and can be used to connect to any computers in your account.  Tech support told me the subscription is not time limited.  My account lists the renewal date as July 2017 but I assume that is just the farthest date the system uses and it will keep working past then.

You can install Ignition in Windows or download the USB installer which will create a portable version you can run directly from the USB device on whatever computer you are using.

Sub-users of your account can also get Ignition for free if they open any existing desktop shortcuts that are connected to their sub-accounts.

If you don't have any existing shortcuts but you have LogMeIn Central, you can create an RSS Feed Link under Configuration.  Open that in your browser and it will have links to your remote computers.  You can use those links to create desktop shortcuts that function like the old Desktop Shortcuts did.

Vincentz

Active Contributor
eborgoglio

Thank you very much for your answer.

Regards

Eleonora

New Contributor
LMIUser33

@Vincentz

Adding features in Pro is very cool, adds value to it.

Taking features from free and making them pro only is a jerk move, takes value away from LMI.

When will we see it re-introduced to LMI free?