New Contributor
bdagnall

LMI Free - Can't add secondary users

I use LMI Free to remotely connect to the computers of my family members. I want to add a secondary user for some of the computers so that they can also remotely connect. I have reviewed numerous threads on this topic, and all of them indicate that this should be possible. The threads talk about "add secondary user" button, or something like that, that I can't locate. I have gone through every page and every feature on the web site and I have gone through every option on the client and I don't see an option to add secondary users anywhere. The closest thing appears to be the security page on the client where I can view and potentially add users on the local computer. I don't want to add local users to a local computer, I want to add an LMI account that can access 1 or more computers remotely using the LMI free tool. Some of the posts indicated that LMI Central was the solution. However, LMI Central is not free and I am using LMI Free and don't plan on upgrading.

So, is it possible to add secondary users to my LMI FREE account so that they can remotely access some or all of the computers that I can access? If so, can someone please walk me through this as I can't seem to figure it out?

Thank you!!!!!!
Valued Contributor
Kyle Goodwin

Re: LMI Free - Can't add secondary users

Secondary users was a feature that was available to all Free and paid-for Pro accounts. Unfortunately, LMI decided to pull that feature along with many others and place them in another fee based products called Central as you mentioned.

Secondary users (and groups) is now only available if you purchase Central at $299/year (or $49/month). There is no way around it. Those users that had secondary users setup before the launch of Central will still work but new ones cannot be added.
Kyle Goodwin
Axis Computer Solutions LLC
www.axiscompsol.com
Contributing Visitor
scotte

Yes this sucks...

I know it,
You know it,

LMI knows it.

I've been a customer for years and now they want to add $300 to my existing Pro subs.

I'm looking for another solution.
You should too.
New Contributor
degriff

This is extremely disappointing. I have been using LMI Free/Pro for 4 years and hyped how great their product is. My wife and I use it all the time to access Quicken on our desktop computer. If/when I have to replace that computer, they will have lost me as loyal user. Now my message to others will be something like: "LMI was a great product until they got greedy."

PS Let me know of any/all alternatives you find.
New Contributor
sWMan

Seriously?  You are complaining about a company that lets you remotely manage an unlimited number of computers through their pipes for free just because it doesn't do exactly what you expect it to?

I'm sad to have lost this feature but, really, get over it.  This is a good, solid product and I'm grateful for having access to it.

For what its worth, that "greed" you are bemoaning is what allows them to provide this part of the product for free, and losing a "loyal user" of a free product isn't a big loss.

Contributor
ClemP

Although I do agree that LMI is entitled to change their product offering (free or otherwise) whenever they choose to, and I am very grateful for the product, I, too, am very disappointed in LMI for what they've done.  The point isn't that the free product won't do everything we want it to do.  The point is that you have a free product with certain key features that many, many users have come to depend on, even highly recommended to others.  Then, suddenly, without warning, a key feature is taken away... POOF!  That's what irks me!

Many companys have free versions of their products that are fully functional for what they do, but do not have all the features of the "paid" products.  If you want those features, you pay for them.  I've used many free products in my 30 years of consulting, and have never... EVER... seen one that deleted a key feature.  In fact, most of the "free" products that I've used over the years, that are still around as both free and paid versions, have actually ADDED features to the free versions.

If LMI planned to yank a key feature, they should have never had it there in the first place!  They should have pushed it as an added feature in the paid product.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone out there, including any LMI executives.  But for me, pulling a key feature from a free product, is close to the old "bait and switch" that some used car dealers are famous for.

That's my opinion and I stand by it.  Now, I'll relinquish the soapbox to someone else... :smileyhappy:

Clem

Contributor
Glen_S

It's not only that they pulled the feature from "free" users either, I have 50 pro licenses and recently found out that I can't add users or deploy computers any more unless I subscribe to another fee based service.  We have only been using logmein for a couple of years and up till now have been quite happy with it, but when I purchased it I was assured adding users and deploying to computers was a feature I would always have, not one they would be pulling in a year or so and forcing me to buy another product to get back.

I am taking a good look at Teamviewer (and others) and may be cancelling our 50 logmein licenses if it looks like a better alternative.

New Contributor
mynah

Feel free to check out TeamViewer, but for 50 users you could spend up to $45,000. 

They charge $1499 for a premium license + $849 per concurrent session, which means if you ever want more than 1 user to be using your system at a time you need to pay $849 per channel. 

New Contributor
hermyt

Teamviewer does not cost $45,000 for 50 users.  The license model for teamviewer is very robust in fact. The one time lifetime license cost is under $1500 and you can install guest installations on ANY number of workstations (the equivalent of logmein install).  There is no limit on your workstation installations.  The channels/concurrent sessions limits are as such, on your main machine you'd be using to login to your guest installations you can connect up to 10 simultaneus sessions.  That means actually actively logged into 10 seperate computers desktops at one time.  Personally I don't think I've ever gone over 8 myself at one time.  Thats not a limit on how many installs or clients you have thats actual running logged into the desktop and actively working on 10 computers at one time.  Many people only will be using 1 at a time.  The channel purchasing is to have more 'tech' type computers you'd be supporting people from.  So if you were running a business and had 3 actively working tech support people on 3 seperate computer connecting to clients then you would need 3 channels, you could have ANY number of client computers installed there is no limit on that you only need your license for your 'tech' or 'support' computer that you're using to connect to their machines.

I've been looking at thats a a good model for a long time and am thinking about it.  Some industries can support the $65/machine/year model but not all businesses support that kind of model.  The one major thing that I like that logmein has that teamviewer doesn't as of the last time I checked was actively tracking last online times.  Its convenient to know the time that a machine has gone offline and to be able to track your active login times etc.  I think once teamviewer gets that and/or event tracking and emailing integrated they will really be a serious top notch competitor.