Active Contributor
jodyready

Re: LMI not working with Windows 8 CP

[ Edited ]
Just a work around until LMI works directly with Win8...

I'm using Windows Remote Desktop on a PC on the same network as the Windows 8 PC.  Here's how:

My laptop with Windows 8 Release Preview is on a local area network and I am able to access it with Windows Remote Desktop from a PC with Vista on the same network.  So I then use my Asus Transformer with Android 4.0 running LMI Ignition to access the Vista PC and use it to access my Win8 laptop. 

Kind of funky but it's working so far.  It's helpful to know some of the special key combinations you can use in Windows Remote Desktop to move around such as switching from Win8 desktop back to Metro (ALT+Home is the same as the Windows key).  Here's a link to some of the special Windows Remote Desktop Shortcut Keys:

http://techie-buzz.com/tips-and-tricks/windows-remote-desktop-shortcut-keys.html

I'll do more testing & also try Windows XP and 7 to make sure they will also work as a "host" to host platform.
Active Contributor
jodyready

[ Edited ]
LMI already has a Windows key equivalent.

Like my wife says, "You have a knack for overlooking the obvious"...

The ALT+Home combo isn't necessary in LMI since a Windows key equivalent is provided.  It's kinda weird though since when I'm on the Vista PC that is Remote Desktop accessing the Win8 PC, I have to use the special key combos since the Windows key on the Vista PC doesn't pass through to the Win8 PC.  However, LMI must be by passing the Vista PC and sending the Windows key code directly to the Win8 PC.

All this takes some getting used to when you're using 3 computers with an intermediary PC to access another PC.

New Contributor
AaronIT

I Finally was able to get it to work.

Go into task manager, right click all the LOGMEIN process, and put into Windows 7 Compatiblity Mode, and run as administrator.

I then restarted the logmein services and have had no problems since. Having said that it was just a quick test from an IPAD which wouldn't work but for 2 second prior.

New Contributor
Sprawl

I was able to get everything working by following the above advice and putting the LogmeIn process into Windows 7 compatability mode plus Administrator rights. I also had to do the same to the app that runs in the tray by right-clicking on the launch icon in the start menu, then rebooting.

Everything seems to work well now. Hope they address the inconsistancies soon since it appears this problem has been going on since beta.

New Contributor
SURFThru

AaronIT. . . . .  THANKS! ! !

New Contributor
Jayojay

LMI work on windows 8 if connected from another computer but it does not hold the connection for up to 3 seconds when connected with ipad.

Active Contributor
Bruss

Hi,

I have similar problem. When trying to access a machine running windows 8 the machine throws a  critical process died error and will not let me control the machine!! The machine then reboots.

I have removed the mirror and upgraded all drivers. Still not working. LMI say I should read the CPD debug report but the complexity of doing that is beyond me,  so not much help realy. 

Anyone got a sugestion?

Thanks,

Bob Russell

New Contributor
max7979

I try to sign in but it says that its not the right username or password

New Contributor
lznieland

I had to do some digging- LMI Support wasn't any help- they just gave me a link that sent me to a page with no information.  So what I had to do was turn off my Norton Firewall & Anti-Virus which turned on my Windows Firewall.  Once I did that- I was able to log in with no problem.  The Anti-Virus on Norton has it's own firewall within it and it causes LMI to freeze when it is trying to remote access.  Hope this helps!

New Contributor
Thrax

Think  I have the answer. Open the file location, right click on the icon and click "Properties", go to the "conpatibility tab and check the box that says "run this program in compatibility mode for". On the dropdown menu select Windows 7. Reboot Logmein and try remote control again. This worked for me on a Windows 8 Dell computer.