An update with regard to Chrome... I have had success with it as Dave describes on XP-SP3, but it's behavior under Win7-Pro is the same as IE and Mozilla (eg- does not work for me). SO now in addition to a browser dependence there seems to be an O/S dependence. Just another data point for the ether.
Just tried using Chrome and it wouldn't work for me. I called HughesNet sales and actually got someone that knows what I am talking about and gave me a solution, but it's expensive. He says that it is a latency problem and something about timing out while loading the headers. Supposedly a common problem with satellite and VPN connections. He said to call Encore @ (703)318-4379 and order two units (you have to put one at each end). He said they run $750.00 each. I just laughed. I didn't call Encore. I did a little searching and think the unit is an Encore VSR-30. I found a used one on Ebay for 319.99. I can't wait for someone to come up with a more logical and reasonable solution.
He is indeed correct. Pretty much any 'always on' connection will have trouble on satellite. Which can usually present itself in 2 ways...
Slow loads or excessive stuttering - Usually prevalent on software that does not require error check, or will stay and wait for it's packets to come in (games and web browsing, web browsing less so because they use less packets/data anyways)
Disconnections or inconsistent initial connections - Prevalent on software that performs error checking, or functions on a timing basis. (most professional level software)
This is probably a HughesNet issue merely from the fact that they are Satellite providers, and apparently from what I hear from current and former customers, not very good ones at that.
I suggest that you stop looking to LMI here for a solution, as the only solution they could come up with is to slow the software down.
Note: I am a network Engineer by profession, and my opinions are based solely on my experience in implementing networks of different types, from wireless to wired, in almost every from (I refuse to setup satellite for anyone, unless they have absolutely no other choice).
I think most people here believe it is a Hughesnet problem also. Hughesnet just doesn't have a support section as good as LMI. It's odd that everyone starting having the problem and the same time. Mine was working fine for over a year. My temporary fix was to yank my Autonet router out of my truck and hook it up to the machine there that is using LMI. It's a cellular based wifi router and it is much faster than Hughesnet. I'm not affiliated with Autonet but I absolutely love it.
On a whim, and out of plain dogged determination, I have continued to try Chrome periodically since it had worked at least a couple times for me. I can report sporadic success with it. When it does work, it always seems to require an F5 page refresh or two along the way but eventually gets to the point where you can successfully perform remote control, file xfer, dashboard and other activities with success. When it does not work, behaves just like IE and Mozilla no matter how many page refreshes you try. I have tried to correlate the times it does work to client load, host load, network load, time of day, phase of moon, and mood of operator with no success. But for those of you who have tried Chrome and had it not work, I suggest not to give up on it but perhaps to try again at another time since I am seeing on-again off-again success with it under XP-SP3 and HN7000S. FYI. IE and Mozilla continue to just not work no matter anything I have tried.