New Contributor
rozeboosje

SCAM artists using LogMeIn for nefarious ends ...

Hello there,

I was contacted recently by SCAM artists who tried to lead me to believe that my computer had a serious problem and who then [cough] "kindly" [cough] offer to "fix" the problem for you. I normally simply blow off such people, but this time my curiosity got the better of me and I led them on a merry dance through 17 minutes of nonsense, just to see where this would lead.

Interestingly enough, it led to them asking me to go to www.support.me - at which point I decided I had enough and I terminated the conversation. Only later did it occur that this would have been the perfect time to pin down the criminals by linking them to an actual LogMeIn session.

So if this happens again, I would like to gather whatever information is needed to allow LogMeIn and whatever law enforcement agency is appropriate to identify these criminals and take action against them.

This is what I thought would be the best course of action, but please let me know if there is anything else I can do:

The next time one of these people phones me, I will allow them to lead me to www.support.me - At that point they will ask me what I see on the screen, and I will dutifully report back to them that I see a prompt asking me to "enter my 6-digit code".

When they give me a 6-digit code, I will, OF COURSE, not enter that code into the prompt. Instead, I will take note of the exact date and time. My guess is that if I inform LogMeIn of a 6-digit-code that was used for criminal intents, and the exact date and time on which that code was active, they will be able to link that back to the criminal's account. Is this correct? If not, what other information should I gather, and how?

Cheers

LogMeIn Contributor
LO315

Re: SCAM artists using LogMeIn for nefarious ends ...

Hi there,

Thanks for helping us out with this.  We've definitely heard about this issue and anything you can do to help us identify the people doing this will help.

If you can provide us with the date and time as well as the pin code we can track down the account and ban them.

Thanks again!

Lou

New Contributor
rozeboosje

Will do. It could be weeks though before they contact me again. But no doubt it'll happen one day.

New Contributor
DChapman

He may not, but I just got off the phone with one of those scum after stringing him along for 15 minutes so he couldn't bother anyone who might fall for his lies. Timestamp around 1630 UK time today (16 minutes ago), his code was 257261.
New Contributor
DChapman

Arg, sorry, typo - it was 257621.

New Contributor
Anon41854

I just had one of these calls from "24/7 PC Care". It must be quite an advanced operation as they appear to be operating different teams - one to cold call and if you bite they pass you on to another person to gain access to your PC - via logmein123.com which redirects to the logmeinrescue.com site.

Anyway they called me at 10.22 BST (british summer time) and the pin code used was 961887

Can logmein in close this account down??? I hate scammers preying on the vulnerable

-Al

New Contributor
Anon41854

I should add it was today (about 5 mins ago).

New Contributor
ackya_111

Hi I'm new here and I'm not really sure of this software but I had a totally same SCAM call and I allowed them to "fix" my computer because of the lack of my knowledge and I really need your help and advice.

I had a call today (September 2nd) about 13:00 (QLD Australia time) from the Virtual PC Doctor telling me that my computer has a serious problems. 

They lead me to www.support.me and registered my information and "fixed" my PC using LogMeIn.

After that I searched information of this company and there was lot of negative comments about them.  I'm trying my best to avoid the further risks by changing password of my accounts that I have and deleting the software that they have installed and so on.

Is there any further actions that I can take?

And is possible to close the account or deleting the code that they made?

My code was 240936.

Frequent Contributor
MISTERPC

It is about time LogMeIn tightened up their sales end as per my other post.

Closing them down 1 at a time after they do it is not the answer.

The sales people at LogMeIn need to be more careful who they sell to.

Make sure they are aware of the scammers, be in contact with the people they sell to and keep an eye on general use of the product after sales, especially if there is high usage.

Do some investigative work instead of just being reactive to the less than .1% that would get posted on here.

New Contributor
Micro-ss-corp

Contacted by 'Micro SS Corporation' '146 Banbury Road Oxfordshire' at approx 09:15 utc today, pin 498464. Apparently the .inf files on my computer are 'uploaded hacker files'.

Please suspend/terminate their account. kthxbai