Contributor
johnmarin
Accepted Solution

How do I reboot a remote computer?

Hi all, I have looked and looked and cannot find a way to reboot a remote computer and be able to regain control of it...(using LMI Pro).

I often need to make a change to the remote box that requires a reboot, but have not found a way to regain control of the box.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

John

New Contributor
Howard

Re: How do I reboot a remote computer?

I have re-booted remote computers - just do as normal from the start button, you may have to reconnect from your live computer when the remote computer is rebooted!
Contributor
johnmarin

Howard, thanks for the tip, but I know the remote computer has rebooted, and yet all i ever see on my end is "computer offline".

I am rebooting the remote computer 99% of the time because I have upgraded a driver or installed a new program, and I am using the "Do you want to reboot your computer now? function associated with that device.

Should I be doing something different?

Thanks!

John

New Contributor
Help My Pc

I don't see how you can do it any other way, when it reboots it turns off so it will not be connected to the net...the only option is to re-connect again after it boots up.  Maybe logmein is not starting in the remote pc when it boots up.
Contributor
johnmarin

The problem is the computer, though rebooted and sitting there just waiting to have a user name and password entered, never shows up again as connected to the Web from the Host end.

I guess the thing to do would be to disable the logon and password on the remote unit and just let it boot right up with no password at all...I can't see any other way aroudn it

If you can't "see" the other computer from the Host, it doesnt matter if it is ready to be logged onto, you cant get onto it!

jkl

Contributor
johnmarin

I just re-read your post. You have the answer I think...the LogMeIn driver and program need to be part of the Strartup Menu as they are not starting up early enough for the Host to see the Remote box.

Tnanks!!! I think you have solved the problem.

jkl

New Contributor
sitebuildernow

Is it possible to have the logmein driver start up before the user logs in? I mean is there a way for me to set that so I can get back in without disabling their login preferences before rebooting?
New Contributor
scooter71

As near as I have been able to figure out, Logmein(free or pro) sets itself up as a Windows Service when it installs, so it will start before the logon screen.  I manage a bunch of computers this way

You may be blocking its startup with some kind of security software(?)  Other than that it works fine on Vista, XP - all versions..

scooter71

Contributor
johnmarin

Thnx, I will try that. My other "fix" didn't work. It obviously needs to be reinstalled on the target computer and absolutely made sure that it is part of Windows services and the startup routine. Otherwise, it sits there unseen by the master computer and just waiting for someone to enter a user name and password.
Contributor
johnmarin

Well, Do I feel like an idiot or what....Under Remote Control is another button marked Definitions that allows you to manually ReBoot the Remote Computer a variety of different ways...

D'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!