New Contributor
Northview

Is LMI Free getting phased out?

With all the recent upgrades, beta interfaces and enhancements, I am getting the feeling they are trying to slowly, but totally phase out Logmein Free. Is this the case? While I currently pay as a subscriber to Logmein IT for two business PCs, this will probably not really affect me, but I have friends and family who are on Logmein Free. Are they eventually gonna be cut off?

I notice the home page states "free trial" so I tend to think they will be like the other and just give you a 30 or 45 day trial period to check it out and then you either have to pay or pretty much lose it entirely. I see how they have also slowly been eliminating features in the free version in an atempt to get people to go to a subscription model.

I have 2 Logmein IT PCs, but also about 5 free versions under the same account too. I wonder if I'll lose some functionality on the free PCs. Maybe its just me, but does anybody else get this sense of the free version being squeezed out too?

New Contributor
Bao99

Re: Is LMI Free getting phased out?

I'm using LogMeIn Free for over 40 computers.. and I have the same feeling.

If you take a look at the "My computer" Section (instead of using LogMeIn Central trial),  you will see that your computers that were grouped before, and not grouped anymore.

I think that more and more "free" features will disappear with time....

Active Contributor
Math025

Does anybody know another software which offers same functionalities as LMI ? Badly thinking about changing Remote Solution... :(
Contributor
Chris58

I have to say that I love LMI, but, all of my computers use the Free product.  If LMI Free is phased out, that will be the end of a satisfied customer.  I just don't need the features of a paid version as I only use it for my home computers and a few others.  For what I use it for, LMI Free is exactly what I want and need.  I refuse to pay for a version that has just too many features that I won't use.
-------
Christopher Lynch
dxd54@optimum.net
New Contributor
Northview

Well, since LMI free is probably eventually gonna be discontinued or slowly phased out to a point where its not worth keeping, I looked into some other free solutions. One that seems pretty decent is Teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com). Free (for now or until they pull a LMI movie) and from what I have read, also allows file transfers. 

It is set up slightly different than LMI & I haven't tried the file transfer service, but once you understand it and get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. check it out.

Contributor
chucky

I, too, kinda get the feeling that LMI free is eventually going to be discontinued.  I would imagine that LMI looked at their user database and see there are alot of free users/computers and they have made the decision to close that door so they could increase the number of paid users they have.  I really don't blame them (can't fault a company for wanting to make money), but I wish they would have just come out and stated their intentions up front.
 There are other remote access solutions out there, and Teamviewer does have a free option.  I have been testing it and, while the user interface is quite a bit different than LMI, it appears to function well.  I will be looking at them and some other options, such as the VNC products.
As to feedback of their new user interface (even with the logmein central), I really don't like it.  The old interface was quick and easy, which is what I want and need in a remote access produce.  While I typically run Logmein on a fast machine, sometimes I need to do a remote session from a computer that isn't so fast and the new interface introduces alot of unnessesary overhead.  I suppose I could get used to it (after all, I'm actually getting used to Vista's user interface).
If I stick with LMI Free it will really only be usable with LMI Central, and I don't know if I want to pay $299 a year for that feature.  The "new" LMI Free reminds me of the "Freecreditreport.com" commercials.  Come to our web site and get a Free Credit Report.  Only you have to pay for it!
Chuck

Northview wrote:

Well, since LMI free is probably eventually gonna be discontinued or slowly phased out to a point where its not worth keeping, I looked into some other free solutions. One that seems pretty decent is Teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com). Free (for now or until they pull a LMI movie) and from what I have read, also allows file transfers. 

It is set up slightly different than LMI & I haven't tried the file transfer service, but once you understand it and get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. check it out.

Esteemed Contributor
warsawtech

Don't have the feeling Free is being phased out as much as limited to how much it is getting used commercially. When I read compliants about losing groups on 80, 100, 300+ computers it makes me wonder if they're doing all that support for free.

Looked at Teamviewer and to get the same functionalitiy I get out of Central for $300 would cost me over $3,000.

Spiceworks is an option if you can live with the advertising.

Understand about home users being upset, but I feel there's alot of us that have been using it to make money and LMI feels they should have a little more of the pie...rightly so.

Contributor
Chris58

I just wish that a staff member would post in this topic.  I wonder if they are avoiding it or if they just don't know about it...
-------
Christopher Lynch
dxd54@optimum.net
New Contributor
Northview

Yea, I guess I can kind of understand why they might be moving in the direction of discontinuing LMI free. It probably requires server resources on their end and I'm sure that isn't cheap to maintain. I guess their hopes of LMI free customers converting to a paid subscription hasn't been as high as they would have liked/hoped or anticipated so this is the next best move to cover rising costs. I have been using LMI IT reach for a few years and have enjoyed it so will continue to, but its like they say "nothing good is free forever"  :smileytongue:

Retired LogMeIn Contributor
Andrew

Please be rest assured that LogMeIn Free is not going away.  We're glad you, and users around the world, are using LogMeIn Free, whether it's for your home computers, supporting family members or used at work.

Not only is LogMeIn Free still free, we just improved it.  Hopefully you'll get a chance to check-out Wake-on-LAN and see the new layout/design, as well as experience improved performance.

Regarding LogMeIn Central, we hope you'll find that Central just makes free better.  As mentioned by warsawtech, we hope you'll check out some of the ways Central makes free better, including the option to deploy an unlimited # of free to your computers, secure login without re-entering passwords, new reporting and much more.