Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AshC
GoTo Moderator

Re: Very unhappy with the new GoToMeeting desktop app

Hi @pmaddern 

I apologize for the frustrations. 

Presenters can grant keyboard control through the GoTo interface by first selecting the attendee name, and then Give keyboard controlhttps://support.goto.com/meeting/help/how-do-i-use-remote-control 

The screen sharing works best when you have the same size screen as your attendees, or are sharing a window that's the same size as their display.  Going full screen as a participant will still keep the aspect ratio of the presentation, so there may be some empty gaps if the presentation doesn't 'fit' the Attendee's display. 

If you need to temporarily revert to the classic GoToMeeting version you may set this in your account online:  https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/how-do-i-go-back-to-the-old-gotomeeting-experience 

Ash is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
GoTo Moderator

Hi @pmaddern 

Your attendees will automatically utilize the version set for your own account, so there's no need to synchronize with them beforehand.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
pmaddern
Active Contributor

Very unhappy with the new GoToMeeting desktop app

I’m so unhappy with the new GoToMeeting desktop app. I’ve been successfully using GoToMeeting for software training of clients for the past 2 years. In a session I had today using a link to one of my Meeting Rooms, I had several problems from what appears to be a new version of GoToMeeting (version 19.47.4). First of all, I ensured my guest attendee clicked on ‘join meeting’ rather than joining via the desktop browser.

The first problem was the new interface. I really dislike the black theme but found I was unable to change it.

The main problem however was that when I made my trainee attendee a Presenter, I found I could no longer request keyboard and mouse access to their screen by clicking on the 3 vertical dots to the right of their name. This was a major problem and really hampered the training. My attendee couldn’t see how to grant me mouse control from their screen either. Is it possible from their Presenter screen and if so, how?

Also, my attendee complained that my screen share appeared very small on their screen. I’ve never had that complaint before. When they magnified the display of my screen to be able to view the detail, it meant they had to continuously scroll up and down within the display window to see everything.

Has this latest version removed the ability for me as host to request desktop and screen sharing?

Can I revert to the old version of GoToMeeting and if so, how do I do this? I’ve looked everywhere - in the GoToMeeting hub, in the Admin section of my account but can’t find anything.

If I can’t get the old experience back, I regrettably will have to part company with GoToMeeting.

pmaddern
Active Contributor

I am able to revert to the old desktop app but when my attendees click on the link to my meeting room, they get the new version. I need the old version to be on both my host screen and on the attendees screen. How can I make that happen?

pmaddern
Active Contributor

I logged a ticket with the GoTo Support Team. The agent said I could download the classic version (i.e. the version prior to the new GoTo app which I dislike very much!) from 

https://www.goto.com/download 

But the download on that page is for the new version! 

Where can I get a download of the classic version of GoToMeeting? Needed urgently as I just can't get on with the new version at all.

pmaddern
Active Contributor

No help here. I spent ages trawling the GoTo web pages.

Eventually, I found an msi install for previous version10.19.0 build 19950 on this page - https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/install-via-msi-windows

The link on this page is https://link.gotomeeting.com/latest-msi 

I'm very unhappy with GoTo for not publicising how it's possible to run G2M sessions where the presenter and attendees all have the old build.
From now on< i need to get my clients to download and install G2M old version from this link. I do hope though the msi doesn't need admin rights to install it. One part of the page says you do and another part says you don't. Confusing!

AshC
GoTo Moderator

Hi @pmaddern 

Your attendees will automatically utilize the version set for your own account, so there's no need to synchronize with them beforehand.  

pmaddern
Active Contributor

Thank you AshC. It worked! This is good to know. It gives me back the GoToMeeting I'm familiar with and the one I prefer over the new version.  

On a related point, I wonder if the new GoTo is now locked in for quite a while or if it will evolve? The latter I hope.

I tried to mark your post as a solution and give kudos but I can't see any options for doing this.