cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howardm19
Active Contributor

Very poor quality of .webm file with no audio

Hi,

I've been using GoToMeeting with my Macbook Pro for a long time with great recordings.

When starting a meeting the other today, I was "forced" to install and use the new GoTo.app. I did.

The resultant .webm file has *no* audio (when I play it with VLC app) and is of terrible quality. It's 35MB in size, much smaller than the usual .mp4 file.

Gosh, what's going on ?

Howard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GoToMathias
GoTo Contributor

Re: Very poor quality of .webm file with no audio

Hi,

we just released a new version of the GoTo App yesterday. Besides other things, it should stabilize the local recording. Hence, you should see less of these "missing audio" issues now and generally error handling, esp. in high load scenarios, improved quite a bit.
Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
GoToMathias
GoTo Contributor

Hi Howard,

thanks for that report. It's been a while but we took a look and increased quality of the recordings. It should be part of one of the next releases of the GoTo App. Hopefully, this addresses your video quality issue 🤞
Audio should be part of the recording. Are you still experiencing issues with that?

-Mathias

howardm19
Active Contributor

Here is the video from our meeting today:

(removed recording link for privacy - GlennD 5/12/23)

There is no audio!

With no audio it's, of course, useless.

The video resolution is also lousy.

As before, what's going on ?

Howard

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @howardm19,

Thank you for the video example (I removed the link after viewing it). We have been working on improving the recording quality for local recordings and hope to release an update soon once we have finished testing. 

In regard to the lack of audio, can you please share details of your GoToMeeting audio settings and hardware? Are there any attendees connected to the meeting? 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
howardm19
Active Contributor

With respect to this video--  Yes, there were several participating attendees, who shared their desktops as they took turns presenting.

When my colleague tested the process separately himself, he tells me the audio worked.

Howard

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Thank you. I have been talking with the team today and the next update to the GoTo App should include improved image capture for local recordings. I was also told that when local recording is used currently telephone audio is not captured, so computer audio should be selected and used. There is meant to be a warning message displayed when you go to start recording and have Phone call selected in your GoTo Meeting Audio Settings.

howardm19
Active Contributor

I'm sure that none of the participants used a telephone (audio)to participate.

All participants know to select "computer audio" when logging-on.

By the way, what do you mean by "...local recording..." ? This meeting is an online webinar.

So, this means that the lack of audio remains unexplained. And we don't know what to do to get this working for us.

Howard

GlennD
GoTo Manager

GoToMeeting offers two ways to record your meetings, local and cloud recording. Local recording means you are recording directly to the computer and a local webm file is created. Cloud recording happens on our servers.

Cloud recording has some benefits: it captures shared webcams, auto transcribes your meeting, recordings can be shared with others via a link, and you can download a copy in MP4 format from your account. You can switch between local and cloud recording in your GoTo App Settings

howardm19
Active Contributor

O.K.

I'm afraid you still haven't addressed the missing audio problem. Please see my previous posts and replies.

We have used GoToMeeting for many years for our Webinar:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPO4ms4Zji9syaS_4i0hVJw

Now, with the GoTo app we have not been able to post videos for many weeks. It's very disturbing and embarrassing.

Howard

GoToMathias
GoTo Contributor

Hi Howard,

the quality changes I was referring to should reach the public soon (end of the month).  This hopefully addresses the quality aspect of your report.

I assume you are using GotoMeeting (the meeting product) and local recording (as opposed to cloud based recording, Glenn wrote how to reach these settings):
Can you tell us more about your audio setup? What Operating System are you using? What kind of audio device? Are you using Computer Audio or PSTN/Phone?  Is it always reproducible?

Thank you for your help!