cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Addition of security notice on www.FastSupport.com

Hi,

We would like to get your feedback on the change to www.fastsupport.com pictured below.

The reason why we are considering the addition of this security notice, is to help protect unsuspecting people from scammers posing as technicians. Some of you may already be aware of this scam, but for those of you that are not:

The scammer signs up for a free trail account of GoToAssist-Remote Support or similar service, they then call people and pose as Microsoft etc technical support. They tell the victim that they have detected a serious issue with their computer and would like to correct the issue for them. Most people are weary of this and don not take them up on the offer but sometimes it works. Once connected the scammer will look for information to steal, possibly install malware/spyware on the victims computer.

We want to do our part in preventing these attacks without affecting your ability to provide support, and would appreciate your thoughts.
Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Addition of security notice on www.FastSupport.com

Hi Matt,
I'm very sorry to hear about this abuse.

Please reference this article regarding fraudulent use of GoToAssist:  https://support.logmeininc.com/gotoassist-remote-support/help/report-abuse-g2ars040007

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

81 REPLIES 81
ThomasHowardBro
Active Contributor

This has actually happened to a customer of mine. The scammer wasn't using a Citrix product, though. The trick is generally to find x-number of thousands of kinds of malware on the "customer's" machine, and offer to fix it all for $199.

Scareware has behaved this way for years now. I had actually never heard of anyone cooperating with a blind telephone caller in this fashion before, though. People are gullible, and it makes me even more thankful that I'm not one.

I think the screen notice is a good idea.

And I think you meant "wary" -- not "weary." People should be more wary.
troglotech
Active Contributor

The boiler plate is a step in the right direction, but you might consider a more proactive approaches to furthur enhance security.

Level 1 (customer empowerment tools) would display addtional authenticated information about the support provider from COL billing information

Agent Contact Information:

Felton Frantz
1811 W Cedar Elm Dr.
Arlington, TX 76012
United States
Phone: 8174613935
fdf@frantzsystems.com

Click on action:

* Trust agent, allow full desktop control
* Trust agent, but allow viewing only
* Report agent suspect; to Citrix
* Defer access
* Deny access

Identify the agent 's profile to the customer (using most recent. I would think legitimate support providers should have no problem with this)
Flash *** Running Evaluation *** under contact info if running eval
Provide customer options including deny access report suspects contacts

Level 2 (COL fraud prevention would identify scammers and deny them access to COL brand products

If a support provider is reported as a scammer suspect, COL should immediately lock the account and require a call interview call in from the suspect.
If the suspect is confirmed to be a scammer COL should:
* Cancel the account
* Notify any clients of who had sessions with scammer
* Blacklist scammer IP and Mac address from COL

Tem Boylan, Sr
Active Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. We are working towards enhancing our abilities to combat this kind of activity. This warning is one option we can implement immediately that we hope will provide some awareness WRT the increasing activity of scammers tricking users into support sessions.
troglotech
Active Contributor

I'd put the warning in asap, but the agent contact information plus action options provide the customer a means to confirm whether the person they are working with is who they say thay are and to take specific actions based on their conclusions.

Any COL response to suspect reports would be a separate policy issue, but it would add value in a similar fashion to LifeLock. Another first in industry coup for COL..
ThomasHowardBro
Active Contributor

Your thoughts and suggestions are great, Felton 🙂

There has always been a bit of security built in, requiring the user to install the agent (if UAC is on), and then again requiring acceptance of the technician's request to share the screen. That acceptance includes the technician's name, and a reasonable person would recognize when the name is not one he/she knows and trusts.

It would be nice to attack the scammers, but decades of efforts to attack email spammers have shown how ineffective such efforts are, in the end.

Client (end-user) education is part of what we support folks should be doing, and is the best way to instill the required degree of wariness when navigating the public internet.
ThomasHowardBro
Active Contributor

I might add that most of the scammers are offshore anyhow, so there is really no legal / law enforcement recourse.
troglotech
Active Contributor

Why, thanks Thomas. Good to meet you.

Professional page design, convincing content and impeccable spelling and grammer can go a long way toward luring a customer into a malicious sutuation. Occasionally I get emails which look interesting but which on closer examination prove to be scamming or phishing attacks. Got one just tonight containing some highly detailed and seemingly relevant analytics and suggestions about my web site content and web presence and a contact reply link. However, an array of red flags were present:

1. The email was unsolicited

2. The sender was one Jorge Conner - not Jorge Conner |Senior SEO Advisor

3. Company name never mentioned

4. Listed phone number not answered and no voice mail

5. My domain name does not have an associated web site. It's just a registered domain name. So much for the free analytics.

The Level 1 features are designed to give the user verified information they need to make that accept/deny decision. For example, an offshore domain would be an immediate red flag, as would a domain not matching the company the scammer claims to represent or a bad phone number.

The Level 2 suggestions would not be used for prosecution, but to block the malicious players from furthur COL access, at least from their present domain and machine. If they are using internet cafes and multiple domains, we are just sol.
Tem Boylan, Sr
Active Contributor

Please note that we have updated the fastsupport.com page to reflect the screenshot above with warning.
Robin Miller

We fell prey to this scam. When I refused to pay they hung up but now my computer has a password and we are not able to log in. How can I find out if they transferred files off of my laptop?