cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gary111

Re: Addition of security notice on www.FastSupport.com

I leave the GoToAssist program icon on my customers desktop, for future support. When opened, the 'Join a session - GoToAssist' window opens. I would like to see the above message "Be cautious if you receive unsolicited requests to access your computer Only join support sessions with people you recognize and trust" appear on this window also. Could this be added to future GoToAssist customer updates?
jason1111
Active Contributor

Wouldn't this issue be alleviated if in order to activate a free trial the customer needed to enter their credit card details?

I've signed up for free trials that required my credit card. Nothing is charged to the card if you cancel within the trial period.

The other thing that struck me was absue not only of the www.fastsupport.com domain, but any legitimate website using an iframe for the 'Establish Support Connection'. Scammers could quite easily pose as employees of any number of sites by directing victims to them instead of the fastsupport.com site. I've personally added that warning to my pages that have the iframe but there's probably loads out there that haven't.
larry11

Allow me a litlte humor hear. Retired IT guy myself and got one of these scammers on the line. Made my day, pretended to be senile old man, who could not follow directions. Kept him on the line for at least a half an hour. He actually asked me to get my wife to help, so I changed my voice. Finally I just could not keep fr om laughing and told him I needed to go take my nap.

I am sorry they are using your business for this. This is clearly phone fraud, why can't the authorites go after the people that sell these phone exchanges.
Jeni

I was almost taken in by this scam.
A man with a Hindu accent called my dad saying that he was a Microsoft technician and a computer with windows 7 was reporting a security alert (not any other windows OS mind you) I believed it was my laptop due to the constant nagging to upgrade to Windows 10. So Dad handed me the phone, he never said who he was or it was too accented to understand. He told me to hold the windows button and R which brought up a browse box, told me to type in www.fastsupport.com and it linked me to go to assist, powered by Citrix. I had to enter my name, and some passkey HE gave me. I told him my concerns about using a third party website to look up some corrupted file, but he just kept reassuring me that my security was his company's top priority. I thought maybe he was actually working for Citrix and was going to charge me for security after the fact. While this is happening, I have Norton Security running a full system scan just in case. I downloaded the program and opened it, that's when my windows settings changed before my eyes, and I started to get really nervous. It asked to join the session before me...
Hindu accent, third party site to check my computer? Not even Norton needed to do that! I had just done a system backup so I could take the chance but.... I said no to joining the session, closed the session bringing back my settings but making the Go to Assist desktop icon disappear, and closed the laptop shutting it down.
After a moment he said "mam there seems to be a problem with your connection..." I said "You're right there is! I closed the session and shut down my computer! If you were from Microsoft you wouldn't need some third party site's computer connection to check to see IF there's a problem! You would already know which computer HAD the problem and what it was! I'm sorry, I just don't trust you goodbye." Hung up the phone, and shut off the phone so he couldn't call back.
Boy am I lucky. It was a nerve wracking experience because I'm so trusting of others, it's hard for me to say NO! Now that I see these posts I am so glad I did.
I just hope he wasn't able to get into my system at all. Please reply and let me know what I should do to remove every trace of this just in case. I have already blocked the Go to assist from my computer through Norton just in case.
troglotech
Active Contributor

GoToAssist Security Enhancements (recap)

RE: "We want to do our part in preventing these attacks without affecting your ability to provide support"       
Glenn Dobson, GoToAssist Community Leader )

Enhance GoToAssist registration requirements (trial and live):
  • Nickname
  • Email
  • Credit Card (verified)
  • Phone
  • Option to auto renew (Y/N)
  • Display subscriber's Mac and IP address
Enhance the Fast Support connection screen
  • Unsolicited access request warning (done)
  • Display technician information from the account registration
       Nickname
       Name (verified from credit card name)
       Email address
       Phone
       If the registration is trial display "TRIAL LICENSE"
  • User response options
       Allow unrestricted desktop access
       Allow display only access
       Deny access
       Deny access and report suspect session information to Citrix
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi Jeni, you can make sure no GoToAssist software is left on your computer by doing the following:
  1. Click the Windows Start button
  2. Select Control Panel
  3. Select Programs and Features
  4. Look for GoToAssist in the list of installed applications
  5. If you find GoToAssist, select it and then click Uninstall
If you remember or wrote down the 9 digit code this person gave you, please post it here and we can use it to locate the account he used and block him from our system.
Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
troglotech
Active Contributor

RE: "If you remember or wrote down the 9 digit code this person gave you, please post it here and we can use it to locate the account he used and block him from our system."

Deny access and report suspect session information to Citrix, below, should automatically include this information,
GlennD
GoTo Manager

It does, but as Jeni joined the session that wasn't used.

troglotech
Active Contributor

Glen, can you send me a link or give me a quick call so I can understand how this works? Tks.
GlennD
GoTo Manager

The current implementation is this:

- The client goes to fastsupport.com and there is a warning posted at the top.

- If the client clicks on the Report Abuse link, they are asked for the 9 digit support key that the technician gave them to enter.

- Once they click the Send Report button we are notified and the Technician's account is identified, reviewed and the appropriate steps taken.