cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
troglotech
Active Contributor

Re: Addition of security notice on www.FastSupport.com

That's helpful. Two questions.
  • Not ever being in the client seat, I was not aware of the abuse reporting function embedded in the end point screens. That certainly is a step in the right direction.
  • Can you point us toward a more detailed series of screen prints showing how to report abuse from the client perspective? I'm unclear where the "button" to invoke reporting abuse is available.
  • Is the session ID visible to the client after the fast support screen? Or does the client have to write down the session number on a piece of paper in advance from within the fast support screen in order to report abuse? In other words, be suspicious before suspicious activity may have been suspected?  Perhaps abuse reporting should pick up the most recent session ID and populate that into the abuse report submission.  Maybe that information could be stored in a cookie on the client's machine, always updated as of when the most recent session was terminated by either party.
  • My other suggestions still apply if COL is really serious about enabling your end point consumers to thwart and report this kind of intrusion.
GlennD
GoTo Manager

• I can't really get anymore detailed than what I posted already, just go to https://www.fastsupport.com/ it's right above where the client enters their name and session ID.
  • The "scammer" on the telephone that called the client directs them to fastsupport.com and then tells them the 9 digit code to enter, that is how they know. 
  • Hopefully they realize this is a scam and click the Report Abuse button and enter the code there, instead of joining the session.
  • There is no way for us to know the session ID unless the client reports it.
  • If the client contacts us after the fact, we may be able to recover the session ID. 
Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
troglotech
Active Contributor

Sorry. I missed it in your original screen shot, so tiny..
  • Please consider that a report abuse link upon closing the session would be as or more useful than at the beginning of a session. Clients may not recognize an abuser up front. Isn't that why this is a problem?
  • I don't see a comment box so the client can describe the problem
  • Is there a feedback mechanism to communicate report disposition to the client?
No way? C'mon, Glen. its Software.

I'm done. Thanks.
Bcshay
Active Contributor

If a person does not recognize a scam at start of the session why would they recognize it at the end of a session.
Matt41

They are still at it so that tells me they are making a lot of money off of this scam.  I just received a phone call describing what everyone else has mentioned.  I played along to see how far they wanted to go (knowing it was a scam from the beginning).  I told them when I typed in the fast support address, it came up with a Google search stating it was a scam.  They hung up.
GlennD
GoTo Manager

I take it you didn't get the 9 digit code from him?
Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
Jamie Kalmar

Hi, the code he used was 541-539-070. Please feel free to block his IP indefinitely
emma21

Since talking with someone in India who accessed my computer, called me careless and tried to get me to pay to install new drivers?! I have had my laptop now tell me drivers have been removed and now need reinstalling which had not happened before access was allowed. What has she done?!!!
ThomasHowardBro
Active Contributor

I can understand why this is still going on, because I myself receive calls almost weekly from "Windows Support" or some such. I simply hang up without saying anything, and they don't call back. With an enormous numbers of unsolicited offers from the scammers to "fix" some problem with "your computer," a small percentage of the gullible should result in significant returns on "investment."

But it still amazes me that people still fall for this scam and let somebody they don't even know access their computer(s) remotely with administrative privileges. Among my customer base, the first was hit three years ago with this nonsense (not using a Citrix product, by the way), and there have been a few others over the years since. Thankfully, I have not seen signs of significant damage or exploitation. These people could well have installed the now-well-known encryption technology that effectively removes all access to files in secondary storage and leaves the "customer" with no recourse except to restore the entire system from a full backup image. Sadly, despite my constant harping on the importance of backup, very few people actually perform backups--ever!

Over the past couple of years there have been frequent warnings of this type of exploit in the trade press and in mainstream media. Apparently it's impossible to educate and caution a significant portion of the user base, especially with Microsoft Windows. 
emma21

I was directed to them via my computer when I tried to set up my mcafee I thought they were there to help. Having not experienced this before I thought it was a new addition to the set up. It wasn't until they started asking for money etc I got annoyed. And it wasn't until I googled it I found this forum warning about it.