cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adam Bottjen
Active Contributor

Re: Addition of security notice on www.FastSupport.com

I think it should say something about "Only connect to people you know and who you have contacted NOT people who have contacted you.
mhead110

Hi, I had a similar problem to Jeni, but I was dumber.    I was having trouble with a credit card that wouldn't set up an account in Quicken--  that company (Orbitz - Comenity Bank) is what gave me this phone #  877-552-9910

It's a scam--   Pretends to be Quicken / intuit, wants a lot of money. ($400 for a 3 year up to -$1000 for a "lifetime" contract)--     Don't let them get into your computer. I was an idiot and let them in to screen share because I believed I was talking to Quicken Tech Support -- I've used GoToAssist screen sharing for tech support with legitimate companies-- but this one is NOT- legit- THEY LIE--   Claim that my files are "44% corrupted, and if it gets to 50%, no one will be able to do anything" etc--    now I don't know if they downloaded my quicken files , passwords etc.        ...   the Orbitz / Community person also gave me this # 800-656-6115   which I did not try.  

The GOTO session # was 513-956-192   "Jerry"   said his # was 1121.

I said I had to think about it and hung up, then I googled the phone #, I found a misleading website that uses Quicken logos but actually eventually says that they are NOT Quicken / Intuit.  I also went to the Quicken site and found community posts about how these are 3rd party vendors, not Quicken, etc.  

I called the company back for the heck of it to see if they would actually lie when I asked them directly--  and they INSISTED that they were really Quicken / Intuit.   

Found this page and uninstalled GoToAssist, as above.  Hopefully their scam is just to get me to pay for tech support...    and not to scrape my passwords etc.   I agree with the people above--  have names, addresses etc.

mhead110

also, have the "report abuse" window pop up AFTER the session.
mhead110

see my comment above.   We're not all as smart as you 🙂   I've been alert enough to avoid scams where someone called me uninvited--   but, I was given a phone number to call Quicken tech support, from a company I was doing business with, and was either told or very strongly implied that I was actually talking to Quicken / Intuit.  It took a while for me to get alarmed.  Is there a way I can now look (are their log files or something) to figure out if the scammer actually downloaded my info or what?
Bentley Corbitt

They are indeed a scam. They are actually telling people they ARE Microsoft/ Apple etc...
Gene Jurado

www.fastsupport.com
enter: name
support key (given over the phone): 396256532
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Thanks for reporting the number Gene, I've passed it along to our team.
Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
Tiffani Mills

My older computer had a pop up today- would not let me out of it-- showing my IP address, stating hijackers/hackers have accessed and that I needed to call Microsoft technician immediately. I never fall for scams-- or these pop-ups- this was different than any I had seen before--but still questioned if this was a scam. Was going to cold boot my computer to shut it down and restart --to get out of popups- they were blocking access to doing anything else- but message stated a few times to not restart my computer or shut it down or risk losing everything pretty much it implied-- I called the number provided for technician-- had a hard time understanding the foreign language -but I started to explain issue that prompted me to call--- specifically mentioned I did not know what to think that I am weary of scams--although he was assuring me--- we lost connection a few minutes later--  looked for number again but was in a  different pop up box blocking my access- number was slightly different-- i called explained I had just been on phone with a another supposed technician- that we lost connection somehow-- again I stated I'm weary of scams but this 'technician' could speak much better English and assured me was a microsoft technician and would help me with the issue-- I could hear other workers in background- men and women--and felt a little more...at ease- not fully though- - but I give him access to my computer and watched him move around my cursor appearing that he was looking for the issue. I typed in numbers/code he gave me-- but apologies- no recollection now of them. He stated my computer was badly infected--- that it was real bad--and he then displayed a page that had 3 plans for me to choose from starting at $99.00. I stated I was not going to put any money into my older computer- that it was not really worth it- just did not want to lose some things on it but I planned on buying a new computer soon-- he got irritated it seemed- and he sighed heavily as if annoyed-and told me not to ever call back and waste their time again!-- I was taken a back and replied that I only called because I was prompted to by the message and did not know- what was going on with my computer and --that I don't usually fall for scams-- he stated over and over (and while talking over me) that he told me from the beginning that I would need to buy/pay for a plan (he did not!)-- and he was still in my computer- had access-- watching him move around in there-- it dawned on me that this for sure.... was a scam-- I started panicking yelling for him to get out of my computer right now and asked for a  supervisor over and over--which he refused, kept talking over me and then he hung up- but not before I called him a few choice names not proper to post here. The session did end- or appeared to end while I kept my eyes on my computer screen-- it looked like he was gone but I remained skeptical. I just followed the steps above someone shared--to uninstall the go to assist and also I came across a Citrus launcher that was installed and I removed that also. Hope that takes care of it..but they have my phone number possibly from calling them-- and my first name I entered into that box...ugh! And not sure if they transferred or did anything else while they had access.
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi Tiffani, I would recommend you read this article http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-tackle-javascript-based-ransomware-sites/  and then make sure your anti virus and anti malware software is up to date and running. If you happen to recall the 9 digit number you were given by this person, please let me know.
Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
Ak11

i think i almost fell prey to this. A pop up on my laptop while i was browsing, warned me of virus and directed me to call a toll-free number (+1 855 337 0031). I did call, i explained, then the agent told to follow some steps which would give him access to diagnose my computer and that was when i hung up. He said he was calling from fastsupport.