cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshua Davidson
New Contributor

Can no longer rename computers (from Unattended computers)

When I attempt to rename a computer in Unattended Computers, it returns the error "The unattended computer was not renamed due to an unexpected error." This has only been happening as of the last few days. Anyone else seeing this?
9 REPLIES 9
Joshua Davidson
New Contributor

Re: Can no longer rename computers (from Unattended computers)

This is actually working again, lasted a few days and then stopped returning the error.
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Joshua, are you editing the Unattended Computers name via the software Unattended list or the website Unattended list?
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Joshua Davidson
New Contributor

Hi Glenn,

I was renaming from the program itself via the system tray GoToAssist Expert icon, then View Unattended Support Computers. By clicking the arrow to the right of the PC to select Rename.

From what I recall I wasn't able to rename from the web UI either but I can't 100% confirm that.
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

You can also rename your Unattended Computers by: 
  • logging into your account on the website 
  • clicking on Unattended Computers which is displayed on the right side of the page 
  • selecting the desired computer
  • clicking Edit which is displayed next to the name  
I just tested this and the Unattended Computer list updated in the software right away. I was also able to rename the same computer via the technician software. I have seen the error you reported displayed at other times to indicate some kind of communication issue with reaching our server.

Joshua Davidson
New Contributor

"The unattended computer was not renamed due to an unexpected error"

Over the last several weeks, we've rarely been able to rename OR remove computers via the software, which is our preferred method. The webpage is significantly slower to delete or rename a computer which we have to do very regularly.

It is obvious this problem is going to continue being an aggravation until we figure out what's going on. Are there any logs on our side to indicate if this is a communication issue? Can you provide us any further information we can use to troubleshoot the problem?

Basically it works some days and fails most days. Nothing is changing on our end to our knowledge, but the software's rename/delete functionality comes and goes.
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Joshua, I've gone ahead and opened a ticket (ref #09633636) for you with support, one of our Reps will be in contact and can gather the log files from your computers. 

Fred Marshall
Contributor

I am trying to rename a computer on the list of unattendeds.

I do this all the time as I have quite a few of them!

In this case, I have gone on line and changed the name there.

Upon restarting the GoToAssist desktop program, the old name appears THERE!

And, I I try to change the name there, I get:

"the unattended computer was not renamed due to an unexpected error"

At the same time, this one computer just doesn't want to stay connected or to connect at all.

Others are fine.

But, I can remote into another computer on the same network and ping the computer that's the subject of this problem.

OBVIOUSLY, the two lists are out of sync.  That's not really acceptable folks!

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @Fred Marshall 

It sounds like the failure is isolated to just a single Unattended machine.  Try rebooting that computer, and then renaming the title once more.  Please let us know if this does not fix the error.

Fred Marshall
Contributor

I deleted it from the list.

Removed it from the computer.

Rebooted the computer.

Downloaded it again.

Reinstalled it and gave it a short, temporary, name.

Initiated a session with the desktop app.  It is still churning............................................................

It finally timed out / failed.

I was able to rename it on the list but then it quickly went to Offline and won't Refresh .. says Power On.

Restarted the desktop app, reconnecte the device session, this time it completed without timing out....

I guess this is an acceptable outcome but the process was NOT GOOD.