cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiredtech
Active Contributor

Digicert Global CA G2 - Security Alert with certificate - GotoAssist Expert

Today GotoAssist Expert threw a security warning stating that the name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site.  Several months ago the when the merge took place, I would have expected this.  The alert throws right away every time I start GTA so I know it's tied to GTA.  

I called support and they really didn't have much to say other than to install the cert, and forwarded me to an old doc that detailed installing the different root certificates last year when the merge took place. 

I'm really not satisfied with that and would like to know why this all of a sudden started throwing.

The certs on my computer should be updated automatically thanks to MS.   So I'm wondering why the blip so long after the certs were changed ?  The cert store on the computer has to have the current certs installed.

Is it possible that they were recently changed again and MS has not updated the computer cert store yet?

It just doesn;t make any sense that this warning would start throwing after all this time.

The cert in question is the Digicert Global CA G2

Help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Digicert Global CA G2 - Security Alert with certificate - GotoAssist Expert

Hi,

For anyone else reading this post, please make sure that you have followed the steps and updated your certificated as outlined here: https://support.logmeininc.com/account-update-faqs#network-environment-updates 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
tiredtech
Active Contributor

I worked with technical support today and was able to confirm this is a known issue effecting some but not all of the GotoAssist customers.  My guess was correct that it had to do with the cert problem from the other day.

I was able to verify with the GTA support person independantly the Issue to: name of the cert and based on that,  support was getting a lot of calls about this and that they advised to install the certificate I felt comfortable doing so.

That resoved the warnings.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

For anyone else reading this post, please make sure that you have followed the steps and updated your certificated as outlined here: https://support.logmeininc.com/account-update-faqs#network-environment-updates

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

tiredtech
Active Contributor

Can some advise on the store location and account (user or local machine) that the certificates should be installed against?  The suggested defaults Microsoft is using on the Import Wizard are not working.

Thanks

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @tiredtech,

I'm asking around to see if anyone has an answer for you. What is happening exactly when you try to import them currently? 

tiredtech
Active Contributor

Support advised to install the certificate from the warning box that is being displayed when GTA is launched.

Here is the sequence:

1) Start GTA Expert.

2) Immediately a "Security Alert" box is displayed.  There are four separate variables that are listed on the alert - all are OK except the name.  The warning here says "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site".

3) Clicking "View Certificate" allows for installing.

4) Click "Install Certificate".

5) The Microsoft Certificate Import Wizard then is launched automatically.

6) From here you can choose to install either as "Local Machine" or "User".  I have selected both.

7) Next, you can specify the place to put the certificate in the certificate store or you can let the wizard place the certificate automatically based on what it feels would be the best choice. 

😎 To this point I have let the wizard do the placement.

9) A dialog box states that the certificate was successfully installed.

I have verified that the certifiate is placed in the following location - this both for the user and for local matchine:

Other People\Certificates

I thought this resolved the warning.  The first time I launched after installing I was still presented with the alert box but this time said yes to proceed.  From then on the alert did not display on subsequent launches of the GTA app. 

But as it turns out, this was only due to me clicking the "yes" button on the warning message.  Once the computer reboots, the alert displays again until I click "yes" button to proceed. 

I'm thinking that the certificate needs to go into another location of the certificate store.  That GTA when it launches is not looking to the Other People\certificates location for the cert.   But would like to confirm with Logmein support the correct location.

It would also be nice to verify the valid dates (from-to) independently as support could not get these at the time due to location differences with the people who could provide that information.  As such I was only able to verify the name of the certificate - *.cloudfront.net - issued by DigiCert Global CA G2

Thanks for you help with this!

BlueChips1
Active Contributor

So you're saying here that I need to install this certificate just on MY desktop and tablets (Surface Pro) I use to access my remote support clients? Or do I need to install it on 235 remote support clients too?

GlennD
GoTo Manager

@BlueChips1 For most customers, the new certificates would have been installed with their operating system updates. In the cases where this has not happened due to a locked down environment  etc, you would need to manually install them. 

@tiredtech we not been able to receate your issue in house or identify a cause in the log files, would you be available for a support session next week so that we can work with you directly?

tiredtech
Active Contributor

No problem.  How would I contact you?