cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Digicert Global CA G2 - Security Alert with certificate - GotoAssist Expert

Thank you. Please click on my profile and message me your contact information and account email address and we will be in contact to arrange a time.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
tiredtech
Active Contributor

OK, but I think we can resolve  this pretty quickly....

Are you able to confirm where the certificate should be placed in the certificate store and if it should be local machine or user?  Also, can you confirm the name associated with the certificate and valid from and to dates?

BlueChips1
Active Contributor

So, I do have to install it on 235 clients (all in domain networks, and none of which received Window updates.) PLUS, I never heard of Windows Update installing Certs. Thanks anyway. I'll start looking for a better solution going forward.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @BlueChips1

Yes, certificate updates are built into operating systems: 

Certificates are updated regularly as they expire, so if you do not allow updates surely you have had to manually update them before now? Or do you mean you manage when the updates happen rather than let them install automatically? 

Due to our merger with LogMeIn last year, all of our Citrix issued certificates needed to be replaced with new ones issued by LogMeIn. For the vast majority of our customers this was a non issue as the certificates were updated automatically. 

tiredtech
Active Contributor

Glenn, thanks for the offer to assist outside of the group but I would like to address this issue in the community group so everyone can benefit.

I contacted support on Friday.  In this call, the tech was saying that Logmein updates certificates all the time and that my issue was likely due to the perimeter firewall services blocking the download of new certificates.

Now that is different.

Microsoft does automatically update certificates via the Windows Update process but only certain certificates.  In my case, the system in question processes Microsoft Updates each month and that is confirmed each month.  

In troubleshooting this issue, I reinstalled from scratch the affected system, updated to current (March 2013 Cumulative update Windows 10 Pro) and then installed GTA as downloaded from the GTA website.  On first launch of GTA, same certificate warning.

So, GTA must be using certificates that are not in the certificate stores populated by Microsoft Update.  

My questions now....

1) Is this true?

2) If so, how\when does GTA go about downloading and installing these.

3) What store do the GTA certificates install to?  IE, Trusted Root, Intermediate?

This shouldn't be that big of an issue.  Certs are pretty basic.

I've confirmed that the certificate prompting the warning is valid - other than the name.  It just needs to be placed in the correct location I'm thinking  

The other thing though is that I'd like to clear up how GTA is updating\populating its certs.  I can tell you for certain that either GTA is using certificates that are not updated via the Windows 10 update services or the W10 update process (Cumulative Updates for March 2013) is not including certain GTA certs in it's update process.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

@tiredtech I appreciate your intentions but as we are unable to recreate the issue 'in house', we need to work directly with someone who is experiencing the issue in order to identify the cause. Then we will be able to solve it for all of those customers and report back here.