cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaun77
Active Contributor

GoToAssist Mac 10.15 Catalina support

Catalina is goin to be released soon and GoToAssist still doesn't work. Is there an update coming soon?

It's very cumbersome having to use the web based Rescue instead of the regular GoToAssist app on my Macbook

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: GoToAssist Mac 10.15 Catalina support

Hi,

We are finishing up things on the new Mac 64 bit version of GoToAssist Remote Support and plan to release it early next week.

Here is what you need to know:

1. If you use a Mac to support your customers, do not update to Catalina until you have updated to the Remote Support release or you will not be able to use the technician software. You can use RescueAssist on Catalina now as it is already a 64 bit application.
  2. You will need to update your Mac Unattended to the new release before upgrading to Catalina.
  3. We will be releasing the update as an Infrequent Update initially, so you will need to set the Mac or it's device group to Infrequent Updates and then select the new version in order for the Unattended Mac to receive it.
Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
marintech
Active Contributor

Tomorrow it should be released, I won't be able to update as I would then not be able to use GTA, and that would kill my business. I sure hope there is an updated version waiting to drop at the same time.
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

We are finishing up things on the new Mac 64 bit version of GoToAssist Remote Support and plan to release it early next week.

Here is what you need to know:

1. If you use a Mac to support your customers, do not update to Catalina until you have updated to the Remote Support release or you will not be able to use the technician software. You can use RescueAssist on Catalina now as it is already a 64 bit application.
  2. You will need to update your Mac Unattended to the new release before upgrading to Catalina.
  3. We will be releasing the update as an Infrequent Update initially, so you will need to set the Mac or it's device group to Infrequent Updates and then select the new version in order for the Unattended Mac to receive it.

Razz1
Active Contributor

@GlennD, It was April of 2018 that you said “ We're prepared for this change and I believe that it will be addressed in the next release which is currently being worked on. I do not have a hard date just yet but I expect it before the end of May.”

In July of this year AshC said “ We plan to have a 64 bit version ready for deployment before Apple stops supporting 32 bit applications”

Now Catalina is out and the app still isn’t. You’re saying early this week, but no solid ETA, and it would seem you’re not confident enough after over a year to release as anything but an “infrequent” update.

Honestly man I think we deserve a better reply. Many of us hate the web tool version and only use the app. Please share something more definitive.
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @Razz1 

You are completely right and I apologize. When I posted that information that was my understanding at the time, but in retrospect, I should have put off answering so soon. I prefer to be as transparent as possible and share what I know instead of just ignoring questions, unfortunately, sometimes things are more dynamic than I understood.

The 64-bit version is still in testing right now, it will be released to the Infrequent Updates channel once it ready. When that happens (and I see it), I will announce it in the community posts about this topic.

If it has been a while since you tried using RescuseAssist I would encourage you to give it another try. A lot of work has been done on it since it first launched and the team has been listening closely to the feedback they have received so far. If there are specific things about the GTA Remote Support desktop software that makes you prefer it over using RescueAssist, please provide that feedback in the surveys or here in the community. 

bcboisvert

It is very troubling to me that LogMeIn didnt have the update ready in time for Catalina with so much advance notice. I decided to upgrade to Catalina intead of waiting and I am testing other remote control products some of which are free. 

I am curious, if a Mac client upgrades to Catalina and I send them to fastsupport.com will they be unable to join a hosted session. I haven't tried this yet and I guess I should. 

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @bcboisvert,

If you use RescueAssist to host the session and send your customer to fastsupport.com they will be able to join your session. 

Razz1
Active Contributor

I agree. This isn't a Reminders app. It's a critical support app for IT pros. With this much advanced notice, with past posts, and more importantly the fact the web tool was launched with such poor performance I may do the same and upgrade and move on. I have said this so many times after failed version updates, so who knows, but I just don't feel Mac support or Mac pros are important enough to the company. 

Razz1
Active Contributor

Thanks for the reply @GlennD. You have always been helpful where you can be man, I get that you are at the mercy of the info you are given, but I am sure you see the point. I remember GTA updates breaking access, multiple times. Now we have had years of noptice and GTA isn't ready. I get the company wants to push everyone into web tool, but no thank you. That product was released in such bad shape I am permenently soured on it. You can find my post with my original testing where the screen was slow to update and so blurry it was unreadable - using 2 machines next to each other on the same 400/20 connection. And that was a released product! At some point LMI / GTA has to recognize that we are support pros that need predictable and reliable products, like our customers. 

In answer to what I like better.... it's simple. I like a dedicated app endpopint. Opening a browser, logging in, and navigating the web app is not faster, not at all. I just tested it again from my iMac to my MBP. On the "remote machine" I had to download a zip, unzip it, run it, give accessability permissions giving control, and now I can see it my iMac but not control it. When I closed it it left a green box on my screen long afterwards. I started a new connection, went through the whole download process again to be safe it worked. It's facination it syas "Fair Connection" when the two machines are side by side and the connection reports 13ms / 485 DN / 16 UP while both are connected. And that green box (I am colorblind if it's not green) on the host machine is very irritating, and covers part of the menu bar. Performance is much better, but there are video glitches I never get through the app on this connection. 

Shaun77
Active Contributor

Just to chime in since this is marked as a solution, it's not.

1. I've already upgraded, hence my post where I noticed GTA no longer works.

2 & 3 This isn't an issue with unattended support, it's an issue with me, the admin that connects to support hundreds of machines.

I'm stuck using RescueAssist which frankly is just awful. With the GTA app, I can have an easy to navigate list of my clients, A separate chat window, a client screen running full screen on a monitor. Using a browser based solution is clunky and cumbersome. 

One simple yet major problem is I assign GTA to a specific desktop or monitor specifically so I can have my browser in another desktop or monitor. With RA I'm having to rip off tabs and move everything around every time I want to work the way I have for years with GTA.

Hopefully GTA will be here soon. This wasn't a secret. We've all been having to click the "This app is not optimized" warning for the last year+ because GTA was 32bit. It's astonishing it hasn't been ported to 64bit in 2.5 years!

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 7.35.46 PM.png