cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bquass
New Contributor

GoToAssist is downloading on my computer for no reason: what does that mean?

While my computer was idling today, a pop-up message appeared saying that GoToAssist was downloading to my computer.  What does that mean?  I had not been communicating with any customer service rep today who was asking to log onto my computer.

Norton virus people said just to delete the app, which I did -- but is there nothing else I can do to prevent this from happening again?  It sounds like an attempt to take over my computer.  And I'm surprised that the GoToAssist program could be downloading on my own computer without me even requesting it, much less approving the download.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: GoToAssist is downloading on my computer for no reason: what does that mean?

Hi @bquass  If you had previously worked with a GoToAssist Expert technician with that computer, it may be that the GoToAssist software previously set up there is simply updating the required version.

If you no longer work with this technical support person, or no longer need GoToAssist, it can be uninstalled like any other application installed locally.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: GoToAssist is downloading on my computer for no reason: what does that mean?

Hi @bquass  If you had previously worked with a GoToAssist Expert technician with that computer, it may be that the GoToAssist software previously set up there is simply updating the required version.

If you no longer work with this technical support person, or no longer need GoToAssist, it can be uninstalled like any other application installed locally.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
bquass
New Contributor

Hmm. I just typed two paragraphs and this page reset, saying "message not found."Robot Mad

LIke I had tried to say: Thanks for the response.   I guess it's all normal.  It's just that I've never seen a program do that: suddenly tell me out of the blue that it was "copying files" as the message said, particularly in a program that lets folks access my computer.   I'm used to being prompted to update, but not having the update run itself like that. Having had no dealings with any customer service folks today, I assumed someone was attempting to gain access to my computer through GoToAssist. 

Glad to know that it probably wasn't a hacker, but I think GoToAssist/LogMeIn should conisder wording the update message differently to make it clear what's being updated: all the pop-up message said is that GoToAssist is "copying files," which sounds suspicioius (to me, at least), not having initiated the copying myself.

But thanks again for the reassurance!