cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
516-Andrew
New Contributor

Re: Group policy is blocking the installer from running in app data ( due to security) Help!

I got this from my SysAdmin, am working on figuring it out myself now. Happened again. Did it in June, also. Fixed by our IT Service Dept then. Thought I'd share. I'm thinking it mat occur when my browser - or something - updated itself. Windows? Reg-Edit, here I come...

From my IT guys:

Here is the error:

Access to C:\Users\ <myuserID> \AppData\Local\GoTo Opener\GoTo Opener.exe has been restricted by your Administrator by location with policy rule {A512C122-DDC5-4C5D-882E-04165674DD67} placed on path C:\Users\ <myUserID>\AppData\Local\*\*.exe.

Never seen this before but this is a Windows issue.  Need to figure out where this policy is and remove it.

516-Andrew
New Contributor

Re: Group policy is blocking the installer from running in app data ( due to security) Help!

I don't know if I'm allowed to put links in here, but the solution at this one was the answer that worked, must give credit where creit is due. Thank you, Kevin Arrows! Author! #2 worked. (And thanks to my IT guy for finding this article.)

https://appuals.com/this-program-is-blocked-by-group-policy/

Bobojijio

We too are experiencing this issue.  It's currently the oldest ticket in our queue with a start date of 2017-06-21.

Applying 516-Andrew's "fix" is a non-starter.  Every single "solution" in the article is a way for an end user to bypass cryptolocker/ransomware prevention and to leave it permanently disabled on the system.  To quote from the aforementioned solution: "When the computer boots up, if the Software Restriction Policy was enabled, it will no longer be in effect so you should be able to successfully launch and run all affected programs."  The cure does more harm than the problem at hand!

Conceptually, I can't disagree with the way the installer works.  Writing to a temp directory during installation and then cleaning up afterwards is proper.  However, given the interest that this thread has generated, it might be prudent to add some logic to the installer to try a different folder if execution is disabled from appdata.  Perhaps you could extract to, mark hidden, and run from the current folder if the target folder is restricted.  Obviously the .exe is running in the current folder because otherwise your code wouldn't be running in the first place.

It's doubtful that we'll see some type of additional logic put into the installer after more than a year, so the next best option is to whitelist the path.  Elsewhere in this thread it was mentioned that the paths have changed and the filenames have changed over time.  This makes it difficult to manage when dealing with multiple domains if we have to change each and every policy every time the launcher has an update.

To echo another user's concerns, we too are actively looking at other options because GoToAssist is only usable for break/fix clients at this point, and our company is focusing on supporting only the managed ones.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@Bobojijio  Have you tried just saving the GoToAssist executable onto every client's desktop?  I say this, because many G2A users have said this was a good solution for them, but I understand if you don't want to create more clutter.

Referencing this article:  https://support.logmeininc.com/gotoassist-remote-support/help/use-the-gotoassist-customer-attended-s...

There are many benefits to setting up support this way, and you can deploy within restricted environments into a shared network location, or on the user's profile. 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
printerhelpcent
New Contributor

don't know if I'm allowed to put links in here, but the answer to this one was the one that worked. Thank you Arrows Kevin! Auteur! Worked with 2. (And my IT guy thanks for finding this article.)

you can follow these links for more information

brother printer offline fix

canon printer error b200

printerhelpcent
New Contributor

This works for our Windows 7 workstations but for Win 8.1 and Win 10...it doesn't even show up in the list when you do gpresult /r  ?  Each OS representing a workstation has its own Computer OU..meaning all Win7 workstations in it's OU, Win 8 in it's own and Win 10 in its own.

User is not a local administrator....is Win 8.1 and Win 10 have a different path to AppData ?

To know more about it click here

canon printer error b200 

brother printer offline fix

wedfghnjm

I can't believe this is a still a thing in the year 2020. Can you please come up with a way so this can be ran where it doesn't run an exe from app data? It's not safe to allow your average user to run exes at all and especially not from app data where most malware/ransomware is ran from.  Most things can be built into browsers now. 

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @wedfghnjm 

Most malware installs to the appdata because that is where legitimate applications run from. If you would like to switch to a browser based experience please switch to GoToAssist v5. You can do this by signing into your account on the website and clicking on the menu in the top right.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training