cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoisiePants
Active Contributor

Re: MacOS Mojave Privacy Setting Causes Chicken or Egg Dilemma

@EKKG wrote:

While I was connected to him, I installed "Unattended" support and restarted the computer. It connected but I could not move the mouse, I had the client go through the system preferences, security, etc... no joy.

How long did you wait before you concluded it wasn't working? I find it can be up to a 10 minute wait before keyboard and mouse control works...

MoisiePants
Active Contributor

@GlennD wrote:

@EKKG can you provide some more details about what process you used to setup Unattended Support with that customer? Did you just open fastsupport.com/unattended or did you download a packaged installer from your account?

Mac security is most likely seeing the Unattended Support install as a different application from the Attended app that your customer previously gave permission to.

I can't speak for @EKKG, but I use the installer from fastsupport.com/unattended. Once installed I ensure that the required G2A applications are whitelisted in System Preferences and it works - but only after a really annoying delay whenever starting an Unattended session.

MoisiePants
Active Contributor

No feedback from LogMeIn on this?... Had an unattended login which took 15 minutes to become active this morning... 

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of adding and removing Unattended Support on my Mac over the last couple of weeks, this is what I have found.

If you install Unattended Support using fastsupport.com/unattended while you are in an Attended session, you will not get the Mac Security prompt that you need to approve until you start an Unattended Support session or reboot the Mac. 

The Unattended Support component that is recognized by the Mac OS is not the GoToAssist Customer App that you use during the Attended Session, it is called g2ax_launchagent_customer 

To set up Unattended support remotely on a Mac:

1. Have your client join an Attended Session
  2. Have your client grant permission to the GoToAssist Customer app when prompted, or walk them through the process.
  3. Once you have control of the Mac, install Unattended Support via fastsupport.com/Unattended or download the installer from your account.
  4. Once you complete the installation and register the Mac to your account give it a few minutes to show up in your Unattended Computer list and then start an Unattended Session with it (do not end your existing Attended session).
  5. Once your Unattended session connects, use your Attended session to sign in and grant 

g2ax_launchagent_customer permission in the Mac Security Preferences. Once you do this switch to your Unattended session window and you will have control of the Mac there also.

Another option is to set up the new RescueAssist Unattended Support while you are in an Attended Session, then follow the same steps listed above. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
MoisiePants
Active Contributor

Hello Glenn:

Thanks for popping by.

I have already added g2ax_launchagent_customer as an allowed application in System Preferences; my issue is not that I can't get control at all - it's that I have to wait an unacceptable and variable delay before I can control the client machine after starting a new unattended session.

Try this after your list of steps to setup Unattended G2A:

6. Close both the Attended and Unattended sessions, then launch a new Unattended session to the same computer;

7. Observe as there is a delay before being presented with control into the login screen, and then an additional delay for being able to control after logging in. Sometimes this might be only a couple of minutes, sometimes it can be up to 15 minutes in my experience.

@GlennD wrote:

Another option is to set up the new RescueAssist Unattended Support while you are in an Attended Session, then follow the same steps listed above. 

Prompted by your prompt, I have just tried this for the first time. Whilst it looks promising, I can't successfully start an unattended RescueAssist session with a freshly-booted client running Mojave - the client machine has to be logged in before I can start a RescueAssist session.

So I have two choices:

• Use RescueAssist - can't login from a fresh boot, but can start a session immediately;
  • Use G2A - can login from a fresh boot, but can't start a session immediately.

Any suggestions?...

MoisiePants
Active Contributor

@MoisiePants wrote:

Prompted by your prompt, I have just tried this for the first time. Whilst it looks promising, I can't successfully start an unattended RescueAssist session with a freshly-booted client running Mojave - the client machine has to be logged in before I can start a RescueAssist session.

...And before anyone suggests it, I have already enabled System Preferences > Accessibility for the LogmeinRemoteSupport application.

cdavis714
Active Contributor

All,

As the OP, I appreciate everyone's feedback over the past year (in two days...) on this issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this solution yet, but I believe I've (finally) figured out something that works... at least for me. 

New Computer:

• When setting up the new Mac (with Mojave), install GoToAssist Unattended as usual.
    • Note that after the install, you'll notice nothing new show up in the Privacy settings... and it would only show up when trying to connect later on and control.
  • To get ahead of this, navigate to the privacy settings accessibility window
  • Separately, in Finder, navigate to 

/Library/Application\ Support/GoToAssistRemoteSupport/GoToAssist\ Customer.app/Contents/Helpers

• Find the file, "g2ax_launchagent_customer"
  • Click and drag that file into the "Allow the apps below to control your computer" window.
    • Note that this needs admin, but if you're performing the install of unattended support then that would be expected regardless.

Existing Computer - Mojave Upgrade:

• Follow the same steps as above for a new computer, skipping the install of GoToAssist Unattended (assuming it's already installed)
  • After adding the file to the accessibility window, continue to upgrade to Mojave

At this point, the computer is ready to be given to the user. You should now be able to use GoToAssist and control the computer. 

EKKG
Active Contributor

Today I had a customer call for some maintenance. He had GoToAssist Customer 1599 installed on an iMac running Mojave 10.14.6. He opened the app and I logged in without a problem and was able to move the mouse and do everything I wanted to. I knew that I would need to restart, so I installed unattended support.

While I was still connected with my attended session I tried to connect via he unattended. It connected very fast and offered the dialog box to accept or decline the connection. I accepted the connection and was able to see the screen on the unattended session, it immediadatley directed me to allow access via the Security control panel. I opened it and the g2ax_lauchagent_customer was already in "Allow the apps below to control your computer". I unlocked and put a check mark on it, then closed System Prefs. Cannot move the mouse, restarted iMac.

After the restart, the iMac showed as offline, so I called the customer, had them log me back in via 1599. Once I logged back in the iMac did show as online, I initiated the connection but still cannot move the mouse in Unattended. The one on top is the Unattended, I know this doesn't really help, but it's my experience today.Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 5.26.23 PM.png

MoisiePants
Active Contributor

@EKKG wrote:

Once I logged back in the iMac did show as online, I initiated the connection but still cannot move the mouse in Unattended.

Hi:

How long did you leave it before giving up? My suspicion is that it would have started working after ~10 minutes...

EKKG
Active Contributor

Yes, one time, I left it sit and it did start working.

The second time I rebooted it sat for longer and still didn’t work.