cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshua Davidson
Active Contributor

Unattended Computer List Refresh Frequency

Lately when looking at the UAC, we often find that the list has not refreshed in the last day or two. For most of my time using GoToAssist, I don't recall having to refresh my UAC list manually like I have to now to connect to some PCs. An issue with a recent update perhaps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: UAC Refresh Frequency

Hi Joshua,

Experts who connect to their customers via unattended support will now see the last refresh time displayed (e.g., Refreshed < 1 min ago, Refreshed 2 mins ago, etc.) in the bottom navigation of the Unattended Support Computers list for each company.  The last refresh time is counted in 1 minute increments on a per company basis, and will continue to count up until the expert clicks Refresh for each company.  Please note that if the expert navigates to a different company, this does not automatically refresh the Unattended Support Computers list.  Previously (v2.6, b948), the improvements that were made to enhance the unattended machine list performance would only show the status of the unattended machine since the last time the expert had clicked Refresh for each company, but would not indicate the last time the list was refreshed.  If the status of an unattended machine had changed since the last time the expert had clicked Refresh, the expert was unable to know that the unattended machine status was no longer up-to-date. 

https://blog.gotoassist.com/gotoassist-remote-support-v2-7-b1092-release-notes/

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi Joshua,

Experts who connect to their customers via unattended support will now see the last refresh time displayed (e.g., Refreshed < 1 min ago, Refreshed 2 mins ago, etc.) in the bottom navigation of the Unattended Support Computers list for each company.  The last refresh time is counted in 1 minute increments on a per company basis, and will continue to count up until the expert clicks Refresh for each company.  Please note that if the expert navigates to a different company, this does not automatically refresh the Unattended Support Computers list.  Previously (v2.6, b948), the improvements that were made to enhance the unattended machine list performance would only show the status of the unattended machine since the last time the expert had clicked Refresh for each company, but would not indicate the last time the list was refreshed.  If the status of an unattended machine had changed since the last time the expert had clicked Refresh, the expert was unable to know that the unattended machine status was no longer up-to-date. 

https://blog.gotoassist.com/gotoassist-remote-support-v2-7-b1092-release-notes/

Joshua Davidson
Active Contributor

I see! Thanks very much for the explanation Glenn. Now that you mention it, it's much snappier now and when you realize that is related to the refresh change, then an occasional one click seems like a small price to pay for shorter time to connect to most sessions. In that case, much appreciated!
Fred Marshall
Contributor

Desktop Status not Refreshed

I've mentioned this before but there's still not a satisfactory resolution IMHO.

I am rather sure that, in the past, the dekstop app status of remote computers was automatically Refreshed fairly often.  And, really, why wouldn't it be?  Otherwise pulling down My Unattended Computers does NOT present a real-time display - which I believe is a very reasonable expectation.  

For some time now, the status may come up and be days old - even when the app is closed and reopened I believe.  This can be very misleading when trying to establish or reestablish a session.  The displayed status shows "In Session" while the (thereafter) Refreshed Status shows "Connect" for the same computer.  I suppose I should add that a status of "In Session" is unusable s as it's not also a "control" like "Connect" is.  

I can't tell you how many times I've been misled by this and had wished for a real-time display.

I wouldn't complain if I didn't really like the service!!

Fred Marshall
Contributor

My Unattended Computers - GoToAssist: REFRESH

I've either missed something or there's confusion about this:

More than one of us have raised the issued of the desktop app and My Unattended Computers - GoToAssist: REFRESH.

The only "answers" that I see are grouped under "UAC" which, to me, means "User Account Control" in Windows and doesn't seem to have a tie to this issue.  Maybe that's what I missed?

The only reference to the actual issue there seems to be "it's not a problem, it's a feature".  As in:

"The last refresh time is counted in 1 minute increments on a per company basis, and will continue to count up until the expert clicks Refresh for each company.  "
Well, clearly, this isn't an answer to the issue that's been raised.

Answers could include:

"Tough, that's the way it is"

or

"Thank you for the suggestion" where the implied suggestion is:

"Please refresh the My Unattended Computers - GoToAssist lists every 5 minutes or according to a selectable refresh rate"

Is that an acceptable suggestion?

Thank you.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: My Unattended Computers - GoToAssist: REFRESH

Hi @Fred Marshall,

The problem with automatically refreshing the Unattended computer lists of every customer, is it all adds up and creates a huge strain on the system which then negatively impacts the performance for everyone. There is a Refresh button you can use to manually refresh you Unattended list whenever necessary.

Fred Marshall
Contributor

Re: My Unattended Computers - GoToAssist: REFRESH

OK.  Now we're getting somewhere I hope...

I don't have the numbers but I can understand the concern subjectively.

Here's are a couple of reasonable "thought" questions.  I don't need the numbers .. just for consideration:

1) Consider what is the current average and peak rate of refreshes across the universe of customers?  Clearly that must be an acceptable number.  Or, maybe it isn't and the system is already overloaded?

2) If this number were increased, what rate of refreshes (on average) would remain acceptable to server loading?

3) If this number were increased, what rate of refreshes (on average) would get to be a real problem?

4) If this number were automated, what rate of automatic refreshes might be possible without creating a problem?  For example, if you were to automatically refresh at the same rate as the current average, then the number of refreshes would double - half for manual updates and half for automatic updates.  Would that be impossible to contemplate?  What if 3x?, etc.

I'm still hearing "it ain't gonna happen" and am trying to encourage some thought process that might make it viewed in more favorable light.

Another thought:  Might it be possible to refresh remote computers when the connection is made?  Or, if it is, a dispaly of that information?  The current global indicator doesn't respond to a new connection.