cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nakatsubo
New Contributor

Mute attendees Permanently

Hi everyone,

In my experience as user, I believe the host should have a button to mute attendees permanently in such way they cannot override and unmute themselves. Let me share why:

a) There are situations where the attendee is not conscious that he/she is the one surrounded by noisy distractions and the host have to stop or be interrupted by other attendee/attendees who says what is already obvious to everyone: someone has unmuted the audio and now is disturbing the meeting.

b) Depending on how youg the attendees are or how disrespectful they can be, there are also situations where the attendee does not care about the content and allow himself/herself to interrupt the meeting consciuously or irritate other attendees, not giving ears to the host or what he/she says.

Such situation is more visible and present these days when schools or random courses are using online rooms to share classes.

Hoping to read from your experience in this matter as well.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Mute attendees Permanently

@Nakatsubo  You can 'hard-mute' the entire audience by using your telephone key pad, pressing *5 to rotate through listening modes.

Reference guide:  https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/manage-phone-audio-via-keypad-commands-g2m050045 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

66 REPLIES 66
John Wetmore

Mute Attendees

So we ran our first meeting today and weird that every single person that joined the meeting, joined unmuted (most joined via pc), and we could hear everything from their end, feed back,, toilet flushing.. it was insane.. i kept having to go in and hit "mute all" every few minutes as people joined. Certainly I'm missing some type of setting to prevent this?
I'd like to set my meetings to make everyone muted unless I specifically unmute someone, possible? Thanks
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Mute Attendees

Hi John,

That's odd, we actually made a change a few months back so that all attendees joined muted by default. They do have the option to tun it off on their end so that the next time they join they are unmuted: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/Meeting/help_files/G2M050036?title=Join+Sessions+Muted
Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
John Wetmore

I agree. I kept having to mute each person that entered throughout the meeting. Is there a way I can set the meeting to keep everyone muted no matter what? We don't do interactive meetings and prefer nobody can talk. Thanks.
John Wetmore

???
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi John, no there is not. With GoToMeeting attendees are aways able to unmute themselves and in some cases organizers are unable to mute them (we have an update coming that will change this): http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/Meeting/help_files/G2M050040?Title=Mute+and+Unmute+your+Attend... 

Depending on what kinds of sessions you are hosting and the number of attendees you need, GoToWebinar maybe a better fit as all regular attendee join muted and must be unmuted by the organizer before they can be heard.

romain11

Hi,
My company is really interrested to get GoToMeeting, and this feature is the only one missing for us : when we organize a professional webinar, we need to keep control and mute all attendees.
Any info on when this update is planned to be delivered ?
Even betta version would do...
Thanks in advance
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi, you should look at GoToWebinar for hosting webinars. Attendees are muted by default and cannot unmute themselves. 

Brick Tamland

Do NOT allow attendees to Un-Mute

Hi

Im trying to find a way that only allows the Organiser to talk and share webcam.

The Mute All button seems kind of pointless when an attendee can override this by un-muting themselves? 

Any ideas please

Thanks
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Do NOT allow attendees to Un-Mute

Hi,

GoToMeeting Organizers dialed in by phone with a successful PIN entry may cycle through conference listening mode by pressing *6 on their phone keypad until the Mute All option is reached.

I would also recommend you look at GoToWebinar, where attendees join in listen only mode and must be unmuted by the organizer before they can be heard.

Reference:  https://www.gotomeeting.com/webinar/features