cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

How to always use the Desktop Version by default?

Hi everyone -

I'm on Mac OS 10.10.2 and it used to be when I clicked on a link, it would automatically launch the desktop version for me and all would be great in the world. Now, I'm first brought into a new browser window and have to manually switch to the desktop version. This was fine for a while, but I'm now having issues with the "Switch to Desktop Version" button not wanting to do anything in Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Additionally, in Firefox I get a message that no one can hear me and that I need to click "Enable" at the top of my tab. Unfortunately, there's nothing to click there. I have disabled pop up blocking in Firefox and still no joy.

Therefore, I have to keep clicking and opening random browsers to try getting the desktop version to actually load. The last time I did this, it took about 20 tries before the button to change to the desktop version worked in Safari.

I am running the latest versions of each browser.

Again, it would be just so much easier to not let the browser version run but to have the Desktop version run by default. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LogMeIn Manager

Re: How to always use the Desktop Version by default?

Hi Doug, 

If the attendee has the GoToMeeting desktop software installed on their computer already, it will launch by default when they join a meeting. If the attendee has the desktop software installed they can type the 9 digit meeting ID directly into the software to join the meeting. After joining from the Web App and attendee can switch to the desktop software (and install it if necessary first), by clicking on the switch icon in the Web Apps control panel. Once they have done this the desktop software will be their default way of joining meetings.

If the attendee is trying to join from a computer that does not meet the system requirements for our desktop software (Linux, old Windows or Mac), we will automatically default them to the Web App so they can still join the meeting. 

An attendee can also choose to use the Web App by going to app.gotomeeting.com and entering the meeting ID there. In some cases, the meeting Organizer may share a join link that uses app.gotomeeting.com, this will connect attendees via the Web App by default. This is useful if they have a compatible system but are not permitted to install software.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
Active Contributor

Just tested on another Mac. Same issue. Finally got it to work in Chrome after about a dozen tries. Firefox seems to be borked, because even though the plugin says it's "allowed" the web window with GoToTraining claims I need to give permission.
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Natalia,

Sorry or the frustration this has been causing you. When an attendee joins a training session using Chrome or Firefox, we automatically direct them to our new Instant Join experience, as it is faster and does not require any additional  software be installed. From what you have described, there are some improvements we need to make so that enabling the microphone etc are less confusing. The team has already begun reviewing your feedback and looking at how they can improve things, in the meantime if you open your GoToTraining links in Safari, it should automatically launch the desktop version already installed on your Mac.
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Active Contributor

Just an update, I finally am able to consistently join via Chrome. The latest versions of Firefox and Safari don't want to allow me to set audio preferences or switch to the Desktop Version -- options are greyed out. If you all would like me to capture what it looks like when I try using those 2 browsers to join the meeting, I can do so.
New Contributor

I too would like to have the desktop version by default. My big gripe with the web version is that my computer has multiple microphones and speakers, and this can change further when I plug in a headset. While the web version allows you to change the microphone source, it directs you to the system audio controls to change the speakers. I.e., you have to change the default speakers for your web browser to change the speakers. This is something that has bothered me for all web-based plug-ins, etc, but that's the reason why i need a standalone desktop version of the app instead. 
New Contributor

How are you able to do so?  Mine continues to launch the browser version vs desktop.  This is very annoying.
Highlighted
New Contributor

I also am requesting that this feature be added to the GoToMeeting software suite. 

New Contributor

constant issue with us too. please add this request, once the desktop version is installed, it should be able to apply default preference from app.
New Contributor

Resolved issue by uninstalling and reinstalling.
New Contributor

It would be great for a default to desktop to always be active