cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: How to always use the Desktop Version by default?

@rgordillo Here's a new Download article if you need GoToMeeting installed for a desktop:  Download Now

New Contributor

How can I require an attendee ALWAYS used the desktop app?

@GlennD wrote:

Hi Doug, 

If the attendee has the GoToMeeting desktop software installed on their computer already, it will launch by default when they join a meeting. If the attendee has the desktop software installed they can type the 9 digit meeting ID directly into the software to join the meeting. After joining from the Web App and attendee can switch to the desktop software (and install it if necessary first), by clicking on the switch icon in the Web Apps control panel. Once they have done this the desktop software will be their default way of joining meetings.

If the attendee is trying to join from a computer that does not meet the system requirements for our desktop software (Linux, old Windows or Mac), we will automatically default them to the Web App so they can still join the meeting. 

An attendee can also choose to use the Web App by going to app.gotomeeting.com and entering the meeting ID there. In some cases, the meeting Organizer may share a join link that uses app.gotomeeting.com, this will connect attendees via the Web App by default. This is useful if they have a compatible system but are not permitted to install software.

LogMeIn Contributor

@tinakae While it is impossible to 'force' attendees to use the desktop application yourself, you could try disabling the Web App for new attendees through your online GoToMeeting Settings:

G2MdisableWebApp.PNG

New Contributor

Why is this being ignored? It should not be so hard for your team to understand how terrible the user experience is here. I want to allow people on my meeting to join through the web app if they want, but I don't want to join through the web app. I also don't want to go through all the extra steps of starting a meeting through the desktop app like your clueless help agent suggested. The program should be smart enough to realize that I have the desktop app installed and default to spin the meeting up when I click the link. If I don't have the desktop app, then it can spin up the web app. Thinking that switching after the web app is up or that I'd just start the meeting through the desktop app is ridiculous; I just want to click in one easy to find place (the meeting request with the link) and it starts the meeting the way that works for my business.

New Contributor

Same issue for me.

My calendar entry has the URL for the meeting.  I don't want to have to click the link, open a browser, click a couple of links or type in a nine-digit number.

I JUST WANT IT TO OPEN IN THE APP INSTEAD OF A BROWSER.  Why is it so difficult to understand OPs question?

LogMeIn Contributor

@Jimmy_M  I am sorry if those join links are frustrating. 

Have you considered taking the 9 digit GoToMeeting ID, and entering it manually to the GoToMeeting software on your desktop?  (Windows users right-click the flower icon, then select Join)

Active Contributor

I have been experiencing this since I recently changed to a new laptop.

I cannot seem to get my system to associate GotoMeeting links with the desktop app. Any time I click a meeting link it opens in the web application. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop app, but the problem persists.

I see suggestions here to copy & paste the meeting ID into the desktop app, and that works fine, but that is a workaround, not a solution. I'm tired of having to do this for every meeting.

I am using Windows 10 Pro and have GoToMeeting 8.38.1 Build 11282 installed.

I never had a problem previously when I was using Windows 7, though I don't know for sure whether the OS version is related.

LogMeIn Contributor

@esctt  This problem can also be caused by security apps and plugins for your browser.  Make sure there are no apps blocking the launcher, and try setting the most current Chrome version as your default browser.

Active Contributor

@AshC thanks for the suggestion.

I have very few apps and extensions installed in Chrome, but I disabled them all in chrome://extensions/, restarted Chrome, and the issue is still reproducible. I have audomatic updates enabled, and confirmed I am running the latest Chrome, and that it is my system default browser. 

I also tried copying & pasting the URL into IE11, my other browser, and the issue is observable that way too.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

@esctt  I would next call into support to fully document your environment to see what may be holding back the GoTo Launcher.

https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/contactus