cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reGTM
Active Contributor

Local Recordings Don't Capture Webcams

WHY don't local recordings capture webcams?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Local Recordings Don't Capture Webcams

Hi,

The reason we do not include the HD webcam feeds in local recordings is that it requires too much processing power which impacts hosting and presenting the meeting. While some customers may have a new and very powerful computer that is up to this task, there is no way for us to ensure that is always the case. When we have tested this approach we have seen failed recordings, distorted computer audio etc.

With Cloud recording none of this is an issue for the organizer and we are also able to provide features like transcription, so there are no plans to add local webcam recording at this time.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi @reGTM 

Webcams use a different type of video feed than desktop screen sharing, and can only be recorded using Cloud Recording (currently available on GoToMeeting Business and Enterprise plans).

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
arhiteshparmar
New Contributor

Hi

in 14 days trial period

are webapp based recording allowed to record a meeting

as i am seeing option that recording is not allowed for this meeting

thanks

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @arhiteshparmar,

If your account settings have Cloud Recording enabled you can record a meeting that you are hosting using our Web App in the browser. This does require you have a Business or Enterprise level plan.

Helder_Moreira
Visitor

This is a strange answer. Others Webmeeting tools, like Zoom, are able to do that (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360040771752-Frequently-asked-questions-about-local-and-cl...) .

What´s the diference between GoToMeeting and Zoom technical approaches ?

FinepBrasil
Active Contributor

Agreed . Hope LogMeIn include Webcams Sharing to Local recording video files.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

The reason we do not include the HD webcam feeds in local recordings is that it requires too much processing power which impacts hosting and presenting the meeting. While some customers may have a new and very powerful computer that is up to this task, there is no way for us to ensure that is always the case. When we have tested this approach we have seen failed recordings, distorted computer audio etc.

With Cloud recording none of this is an issue for the organizer and we are also able to provide features like transcription, so there are no plans to add local webcam recording at this time.

Anker
New Contributor

Record does not mean 'record'

I've learned the very hard way how the UX of GTM is fundamentally flawed concerning recordings. When i administer a meeting, I have the option to record. There's a nice 'REC' button at the top. When I hover over it, I can hit the blue button that indicates 'START YOUR RECORDING'. Seems easy. Hit that button and I then see 'Rec' with a red dot, indicating recording. However, this UX is deeply misleading. It turns out, and one has to lose a recording altogether to learn this, that the video conferencing aspect (i.e., the videos of the people participating in their little boxes) is not actually being recorded, unless one has pre-selected 'record to cloud' in the admin settings. How would I know this? How hard would it be for GTM to properly advise users that 'REC' specifically is not recording anything other than audio, when selecting 'REC', unless some user setting elsewhere was set to 'cloud'? This is the worst piece of UX ever, because one has to learn this by recording a (important) meeting, converting the file to *.mp4, then playing that back only to find that there's no video, calling tech support, and having them instruct me how I should have done it, and that that event is fundamentally lost. It should be simple to redesign to include a simple pop-up when hitting 'REC' that indicates the recording is audio only because the user-setting is not set to 'Cloud', and asking 'if you want video for this recording, you must set the recording to cloud, do you want to do this now Y/N?'  This is nuts.  It shouldn't require me to know that 'REC' means sound only, no video unless I've set the recording to cloud. It's a video teleconference, so presumably 'REC' includes video. Except it doesn't. Nuts. 

reGTM
Active Contributor

Re: Record does not mean 'record'

Good synopsis of the UI failure.  We moved to a different vendor, partly because of this issue, but also other similar issues that do not meet industry expectations.  

Anker
New Contributor

Re: Record does not mean 'record'

I'm fine. I now have my settings 'set' and will not have this problem in the future. The reason I took my personal time to post this was to agitate the development team at GTM to prioritize fixing this so that some other unfortunate customer doesn't find that they've not recorded something important, like ten of my dead parents friends gathering to talk about their times together in the 1960s.