cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

MacBook OS freezes during meeting, crashing computer itself

Hi, whenever I join a meeting with my MacBook Pro's Facetime camera, the entire MacBook crashes, completely freezing the entire computer system.  This happens multiple times in the same meeting.

For example, I join a meeting using the launcher, start my webcam, and after a few minutes the entire computer deadlocks and has to be forcibly shutdown as the operating system is unresponsive.

Immediately before it happens, there's a brief echo in the video conference where the video halts, and audio repeats 3 or so times.  Display is frozen, and the computer is unresponsive.  Then, computer must be restarted by holding down the power key.

This is a recent MacBook Pro, 15-inch 2018

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 8th Gen

Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB / Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Operating System has no pending updates, drivers should be current, and I've performed extensive graphics operations from video to photo to computer graphics without issue.  

Also, I've been on multi-hour video chats through other platforms such as Slack without issue.

Tried changing automatic graphics switching, and exact same crash whether using the Intel graphics onboard the chip or using the Radeon Pro.

There's nothing meaningful in the console logs, or crash reporting as the operating system is frozen.

Any thoughts on resolution, or debugging the issue?

Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Active Contributor

Re: MacBook OS freezes during meeting, crashing computer itself

Sorry - posted this to the wrong group. Meant to post as GoToMeeting Discussions topic.

LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Jason,

Sorry, that experience is highly uncommon. 

Have you been able to test sharing your webcam in GoToMeeting after a fresh reboot of your Mac?

Active Contributor

Yes - it can happen 5 times in a row within a 1-hour meeting.

So, after the initial experience, 4 fresh restarts with repeated operating system halt.
LogMeIn Contributor

Hey Jason, We'd probably like to gather some log files from your machine, with a customer support representative via telephone.