cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
proAlexandr
New Contributor

MuteMe compatibility

Hi

I am a developer of Mute Me app (https://github.com/pixel-point/mute-me). Our users have a problem with a compatibility of Mute Me and GoToMeeting. When Mute Me sets a microphone muted GoToMeeting immediately unmutes it. I think it is an incorrect behaviour to unmute user's microphone without any notification and it behaviour makes impossible to control audio input devised by third-party applications.

For example, we would like GoToMeeting doesn't unmute a microphone automatically and ask a user if he/she wants to unmute an input device or not. Do you agree with this proposal?

Notes:

• To reproduce the issue you should download version 2.0.0rc-1 (or 2.0.0rc-2).
  • In order to mute an input device we use the AudioCore function `AudioObjectSetPropertyData` with AudioObjectPropertyAddress equals 

AudioObjectPropertyAddress propertyAddress = {
        kAudioHardwarePropertyDefaultInputDevice,
        kAudioObjectPropertyScopeGlobal,
        kAudioObjectPropertyElementMaster
 }

4 REPLIES 4
AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: MuteMe compatibility

@proAlexandr  Sorry about that!  Unfortunately in your case, GoToMeeting may not be compatible with the MuteMe application.

TanelPoder
New Contributor

Hi, I had reported this issue to the MuteMe app developer. I'm using (paid) GotoWebinar a lot for doing webinars and I use my own screen recording solution (not GotoWebinar's). Every now and then I  need to mute the actual sound input channel on my mac (so that both Gotowebinar and my screen recorder would be muted ... whenever coughing or sipping water or whatnot). 

Currently the process is quite cumbersome for me, I mute GotoWebinar from its mute button and I have to later find and edit out these points in the video and this takes a lot of extra time. I need to use my own recording solution, gotowebinar's recording is not enough for my needs. 

Having an easy way to mute the mic input channel solves my problem - both GTW and the video would be muted, I won't need to spend all this extra time editing the audio later.

But GTW for some reason unmutes the mic channel immediately. Perhaps because it tries to dynamically change the input level to avoid distorted audio. But this is a problem for me. 

Is there a way to disable GTWs automatic controlling of the input audio channel volume? This would allow me to solve my problem by using the MuteMe app.

Thanks,

Tanel.

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

@TanelPoder GoToWebinar automatically mutes participants as they arrive for security reasons.  This functionality is built into the system, and is not a preference you can change.

However, if you're on a Windows PC, there are some advanced audio settings you may disable if they're causing some trouble:  Preferences > Audio > Advanced:  Automaticaly adjust my stem mixer settings & Use automatic volume and noise processing

TanelPoder
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. You have missed my point. Gotowebinar automatically muting *attendees* is OK and not a problem. My problem is that I'm the organizer/presenter and Gotowebinar automatically and immediately *unmutes* the mic audio channel even if I have muted it using an another app.

Thanks for the tip for GTW on Windows. Any chance to disable the automatic system mixer adjustment  settings on OSX? (All I really need is the audio channel to stay muted when I have explicitly muted it using another app).

Thanks,

Tanel.