cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CL229
New Contributor

My trace route times are high. Now what?

I have been experiencing recurring connection problems using GoToMeeting over WiFi.  By most measurements I have fantastic internet service — I have a new docsys3.1 modem, WiFi6 router, Cat6 cables, good up/down speeds, and a brand new Dell laptop from work. I read the suggestion of running a trace route on this forum to diagnose connection problems.  So I did that, and my times appear high.  Hops 2–7 are consistently in the 15 to 50 ms range, and hops 8 onward are all above 80 ms with at least one number above 200 ms every time.  Even if I stand directly in front of the router, the times are essentially the same. If I run the trace on my desktop (with an Ethernet connection), the overall pattern is the same but the times don't go above 115 ms.

So I think I know what the problem is. Is there any way to fix it?  I have not experienced connection problems using other video meeting services. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: My trace route times are high. Now what?

@CL229  200 ms times are a little high especially in your own network, but you can see them at certain stops along the internet without causing any noticeable delays.  Have you tried bypassing the router to confirm it's not that piece of hardware?

Have you tested any other devices on this same network?

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
CL229
New Contributor

Hi @AshC, I conducted traces on three different devices today (2 WiFi, 1 Ethernet). Interestingly I am not getting the long times over 200 ms on any of them now.  The highest times are in the low 100 range.

This is my second router and I've experienced the same problems using both.  I would prefer not to plug my computer directly into the modem.

I have noticed these problems mainly impact my Tuesday afternoon meetings.  Could somebody else's connection in those meetings be compounding the problem?  Some participants can talk amongst themselves, but I get cut out of the meeting and am prompted to turn off my webcam, etc.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

The other participants should not have any effect on your performance.  Losing webcam functionality is a natural response of GoToMeeting in order to preserve your VoIP / Desktop sharing feeds.

Considering you've seen the behavior recur using completely different routers, have you contacted your ISP at all about this problem?

In some cases the Connection Wizard can be used to improve your performance as well: https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/install-and-run-the-connection-wizard-windows 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!