cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

Out of sync slides and audio in GTM recordings

This is a recurring problem, with no solution. We've run a GoToMeeting session, recorded it in the cloud, and when we view the recording the slides and the audio become more and more out of sync the further forward we go. 15-20 seconds difference. We have reported the problem either on this forum or directly to LogMeIn Support at least twice. The first time (copied in below) it was resolved by re-running the conversion routine on the raw files. The problem now is that by recording to the cloud, there are no raw files to re-convert. We just returned from or semi annual conference where we recorded about 25 sessions, each 3-4 hours long, and we're already hearing complaints from people that the recordings are unusable.
We run approximately 50, 4-5 hour long GoToMeeting sessions at our semi-annual, week-long meetings for the benefit of remote participants. After each session we stop and convert the recording, then upload to Sharefile for posterity. We have had numerous complaints following our recent meeting in July that in the recordings downloaded from Sharefile, the audio is out-of-sync with the slide display.

6 REPLIES 6
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Out of sync slides and audio in GTM recordings

@Dan Keyes  I am sorry to hear about this, and don't think we have any similar known issues around Cloud Recording. 

It sounds like all of these recordings are over 3+ hours long? 

What type of device / operating system are you recording from?

Are you also presenting from the same location?  How is this presenter connecting to the GoToMeeting integrated audio?

Active Contributor

Yes all recordings are likely longer than 3 hours.

Macbook laptops always running the latest OS.

Sometimes we have remote presenters, but I don't think it's those (or just those) that are experiencing the problem.

We have the presentation laptop on a podium for the presenter/speaker to use. We sign it in and start to a GoTo session set up earlier. We share the screen, and turn on cloud recording. We are using "computer audio" and not phone call. We then sign in to the session from another laptop, test audio and video (screen share), then tell presenter he's ready to go. He runs though his presentation, displayed on a projector in the room as well as screen-shared through GoTo for remote participants. There is no out-of-sync for those remote participants.

LogMeIn Contributor

@Dan Keyes   OK, Dan -- the one variable I'd like to remove is ShareFile.  What happens when you stream or playback the local recordings yourself?  Is the delay identical?

Active Contributor

I understand why you'd like to eliminate that variable. Unfortunately upon moving the files over to Sharefile, they were subsequently deleted off the GoTo Session History page (we didn't want people linking to those, as they do not stay there forever.)

On the other hand, if the solution to the problem in the past was to re-run the conversion routine, then logic dictates that the problem is in the conversion routine, and not somewhere later down the line such as in a Sharefile upload. And if the raw files that get converted when the recording ends are now on the GoTo server and not on the local (laptop) device, then the laptop hardware and OS are likely not the problem either. Make sense?

Active Contributor

When I search for forum for "webinar recording out of sync" I see 3 or 4 similar threads, all talking about the same problem. Maybe they were all recording locally and not to the cloud back then, but now that cloud recording is available with G2M the problem seems to have moved over to the G2M servers.

LogMeIn Contributor

@Dan Keyes   GoToMeeting recordings are not set to expire, as far as I know.  Once you have a recording link, then it should stay active as long as the Organizer account does.  If you can replicate the playback issue before you transfer it elsewhere (while streaming or after downloading from the GoToMeeting servers), then I would say we have a case for an engineering ticket.