cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Myki
New Contributor

Poor video quality when more than two people

Good evening, 

I just ended my update of my meeting hardware: new monitor, new mic and new webcam. Also new internet line with absolute stable 270/43mbit connection.

Webcam went from Logitech 920c to Razer Kiyo Pro.

I suspected that the poor video quality of the Logitech while having online courses is because of the camera but with the new Razer I have exactly the same problems. I did some research and found out two things. The quality of the stream ist going from 1080p while on 1 on 1 to 720p with more people, at least it's written on gtm website and you can see clearly the decline in quality, it even looks much worse. Also the upload on my router is steady at 1,2 to 1,3 mbit. It was the same with old webcam and old isp/router.

I checked out Webex and saw that they offer 4-6mbit and I checked it in my device. The video quality is much better when with more than two people.

Since I'm very happy with gtm in general and saw that the interface of Webex is confusing to say it nicely I'm asking what to do on the video quality. On the the gtm website it's written the the upload will be between 0,7 and 2mbit so I'm not confident to see an increase in quality soon.

Someone has advice?

Thanks,

N. 

5 REPLIES 5
Myki
New Contributor

Re: Poor video quality when more than two people

To give an example I opened three different Apps: Webex, Teams, GTM.

Here is the bandwidth used on the same conditions (hoster + two guest + sharing a PDF, all cameras on, mic off)

GTMGTMTeamsTeamsWebexWebex

1. GTM

2. Teams

3. Webex

You can see clearly the limiations of bandwidth of GTM. Again, in my opinion GTM is a very good and stable product, but from these three solutions it's also the most expensive. What's the problem to increase the bandwidth?

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi @Myki 

Could you please confirm the GoToMeeting software version installed, and the operating system / device in use there? 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Myki
New Contributor

Software version is 10.17.0 Build 19796.

Windows 10 Pro with Razer Kiyo Pro, which replaced Logitech C920 Pro.

Independent from an old Software Version (I'll check on the website for an update after posting this) the Website is clearly stating that the maximum seems to be 2mbit which is much lower than Webex and Teams.

Thanks for your support.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

The expected behavior with GoTo webcam sharing is:

• In 1:1 sessions (e.g., 2 attendees total) on the web, GoTo desktop app, and GoTo mobile app, the resolution is 1920x1080px (1080p).
  • For all other sessions, a single webcam stream can be up to 1280x720px (720p).

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Myki
New Contributor

I know and you can visible see the decline in quality. But to me it looks like that the bandwidth limitation is the bigger problem here. It doesn't look like "true" 720p and as I already mentioned in other apps like WebEx and Teams the bandwidth is much higher even with the same 720p. Why GTM is putting such a low limit on the bandwidth? Is it a server issue?