cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Screen sharing poor frame rate

Hi,

is there a way to improve the screen share framerate? We need to test some software who's running at 60 fps or more, ideally we want to have 30fps or such during the presentation, but with the screen sharing we are obtaining less than 10 frames per second (sometime less than 5).

The odd part is that if we capture the screen with an external app and we'll feed the video as a "virtual webcam" the same software/video looks a lot better (the downside is that the presenters have to install an additional software...).

Is there a way to make to improve the screen sharing performance?

6 REPLIES 6
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Screen sharing poor frame rate

Hi @npole ,

Currently video sharing at higher frame rates is only supported with GoToWebinar. 

Desktop sharing with GoTo services works on a variable f/s, where still shots such as slides may not change views compared to a pointer or highlighter movement.  I will say that webcams typically stream higher than the desktop sharing, so if you were to feed your video into a third party application like Manycam, and into the GoToMeetig webcam feed, then you would see a smaller, but higher f/s video window as a 'webcam'.

New Contributor

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Actually I don't see a "smaller" desktop, everything runs fine, with an acceptable frame rate and an acceptable quality, while the screen sharing is doing 5 fps or so.

The question is: why they didn't enabled this possibility within the software? If I can do it with Manycam (or any other desktop capute software like OSB), using the same technology within GoToMeeting should work in theory.

GoToWebinar has a hi rate desktop/app sharing?

LogMeIn Contributor

The GoTo services all screen share in a similar way, and use webcam feeds at higher rates, in smaller webcam window frames.  GoToWebinar allows for HD video feeds when you pre-schedule to your online account (MP4 & Youtube compatible).  Manycam is a way to feed a video into the GoToMeeting webcam port.

New Contributor

I see, why GoToMeeting doesn't give us the possibility to share the desktop in a webcam feed like like Manycam or similar? Isn't it technical possible?

I would love to share the desktop at the same quality and frame rate that I'm obtaining by using an external software but within the GoToMeeting software. The fact that I have to use an external software make the thing unnecessary complex IMO.

Webinar doesn't suit our needs if it's capable to stream only pre-recorded video, we need to share the app contents in real time and with an acceptable frame rate and quality.

LogMeIn Contributor

We are planning several GoTo screen sharing improvements in the coming months, although I don't have an ETA on the development and release yet.  One of these will include desktop video sharing I believe.

New Contributor

Thank you for your reply. So I assume that no solution to this issue exist as of today.

I will wait for the upcoming months and I'll evaluate the software again.