cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Windows message when trying to enter a command, after taking control

I use GTM a lot to assist clients using text based screens.  Recently I started getting a windows pop-up screen that says Error: UpdateLayeredWindow Error. The text says 'the system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the message file for %2.

Windows and GTM search have nothing about it.

12 REPLIES 12
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Windows message when trying to enter a command, after taking control

Hi @ITSGPete ,

Could you explain which commands and GoToMeeting tools you are attempting to utilize when this error appears? 

Which operating systems are in use on your computer and the Attendee's?

New Contributor

I am using Windows7 and clients typically are Win7 or Win10.   I have determined that it is the 'Tab key' issue that several other users have reported.  I use GTM frequently to assist clients running the 'AS400' operating system which is largely text based using a Windows telnet client software.  The Tab key is used to move between fields and is causing me a royal PITA.  It generates UpdateLayeredWindow error messages, some times so many that I have to close and restart my GTM session.  Up until a couple months ago, it worked fine so I have to assume one of the updates broke it.

While I am at it, the AS400 also uses Function keys extensively.  F11 is common and no longer works on the machine/session I am controlling. Instead, it changes the local session from windowed to full screen and back. Another PITA.

LogMeIn Contributor

OK, I have now upgraded your GoTo account for software build 8.46.

The Windows Function keys I believe may return in a later version to come, if we can offer an 'Accessibility Disable' tool for the endpoint.

New Contributor

How do I get this new version?

LogMeIn Manager

Hi @ITSGPete,

It will install automatically when you start your next GoToMeeting.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

Apparently I'm still missing something...

Signed out and exited GTM.  It no longer shows in the tray.

Started GTM from start menu, started a meeting, logged in.

Joined the meeting from another computer, that worked.

Disconnected the sessions, GTM still running in my tray.

Right-click, About. Shows 8.45.4 build 13609.

LogMeIn Contributor

@ITSGPete  Try uninstalling the GoToMeeting software, and then hosting a new meeting after logging into your online account.

New Contributor

I uninstalled GTM as requested, tried to download it and restart and it still was 8.45. I had to go into my machine and delete several directories that apparently had old GTM software. I finally was able to download the new version, it showed 8.70 at first then downloaded 8.46. That lasted for all of a couple days. Now when I start GTM, it's back to 8.45.4 and the Tab key issue. Caused me MAJOR issues today when I was on with a client. Their interface uses the Tab key extensively and if I forget and press that key, I get multiple 'layeredwindowerror' messages. It got to one point where I had to have the client type in what I needed to do because everytime I took control and pressed a key, 3 of those messages popped up on my screen, and then minimized the GTM window.

Is there a better fix for this?
LogMeIn Contributor

@ITSGPete  You would only be using an older GoToMeeting version if joining a meeting hosted by a different account with a lower build setting.  Can you try hosting a new meeting now, with your own GoTo credentials, then confirm the software version while in session please?