cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

highjacking the F10 and F11 keys

I just got off the support line with one of your technicians. Nice guy, very helpful. We ran through some things and we discovered that your latest build makes GoToMeeting unusable for me - and any .Net Developers who work with clients on their machines.

The first issue: The new "Accessibility Imporovements to Windows" includes F10 and F11 hotkey mapping that consumes the messages and does not pass the message through to the client. I'm all for accessibility but there's a problem.

Why it's an issue... I'm connecting to my clients computer via GTM and they provide me with Keyboard & Mouse control. While debugging their software solutions in Microsoft Visual Studio, we rely on the F10 and F11 keys to step over and step into their code. Now, the GTM menu pops up with F10, and GTM goes fullscreen with F11. Maybe allow these hotkeys to be enabled / disabled in your options? For now, unusable.

The second issue that came up on this call was the changes to the subscription plans. I was informed that my account had features that shouldn't be enabled as part of the Starter Subscription. This includes keyboard and mouse control. Wait. I've been using GTM for a few years without any issues and now you're telling me I won't be able to type because of the recent subscription plan change (apparently in the last few weeks?).  In order to re-enable something that previously worked within my price plan, I have to pay more.

.... so .... that's a slap in the nuts and I'm not in the mood.

I'm off to find a new product that will allow me to continue working with my clients and I'll let you all know who I find.

If anyone in upper management, development, or support want to get in touch with me directly - you have my details. I'd be happy to discuss your step in the wrong direction with you. Colossal failure guys. 

9 REPLIES 9
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: You guys just screwed me and a significant group of your clients with build 11282

Hi @thellama ,

Sorry for all the confusion there, and thanks for the Accessiblity feedback. I don't know if those features can be permanently disabled yet.

I do know that Marketing changes certain feature sets, but those usually just affect newly created accounts.  Did you actually lose keyboard and mouse control on your continuing GoToMeeting subsription?

Active Contributor

Re: You guys just screwed me and a significant group of your clients with build 11282

I was told that if we do anything regarding my current subscription that the new pricing plans and feature sets would take effect. It was a worst-case-scenario where, if a license had to be re-issued to my account, this was the result.

LogMeIn Manager

Hi @thellama

While I'm sure we could keep you on the same plan that you have now, I do not see us making these accessibility improvements optional.  Unfortunately, for the way you are using GoToMeeting the application will be in focus so it will respond to the F11 command as other applications will. Normally I recommend RescueAssist to customers who are using GoToMeeting as a support tool, but it does cost more than the GoToMeeting Starter plan you have currently. Join.Me may be an alternative you could try, it also has keyboard and mouse sharing.

All that being said, a ticket has been filed to see if something can be done. 

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Active Contributor

Hi @GlennD,

Thank you for raising the ticket. I don't know why you couldn't make the accessibility functions optional - enabled by default. Just stop highjacking the F10 and F11 keys and send them through to the client as you did before.

In reality, I have been using GTM in various ways including regular meeting / presentation modes, remote support, and just audio meetings at times. It worked well and could handle this versatility.

Unfortunately this is no longer the case. I hope you will make these hotkeys optional and I will consider using your solutions again. In the meantime, I'm looking for something else.

New Contributor

Re: highjacking the F10 and F11 keys

Agreed.  I am running build 12771 and the F10 and F11 key hijack affects our ability to support our customers.  Has anything been done about this yet?  And, if not, is any workaround planned?

Thanks

Active Contributor

There wasn't any indication that a workaround was an option. I don't know why they couldn't make these accessibility hotkeys optional - just add a setting to disable these hotkeys guys.... not difficult.

Honestly, I've moved on to another platform...

LogMeIn Manager

Hi,

GoToMeeting is designed for and intended to be used for online meetings, so improving accessibility is a priority. If your primary use is providing remote support, I would recommend our RescueAssist product. 

Active Contributor

Glenn,

You have to understand the intrusiveness of the RescueAssist approach. Similar products such as ScreenConnect provide the same functionality. What we found was that our end users want to meet first without showing their screen, have a discussion, and then one of multiple people on the call will show their screen.

I agree that accessibility is extremely important. That said, flexibiilty is also important. You guys sacrificed one to accommodate the other. Ask yourself, why can't you add an option to the GTM desktop application which allows advanced users to disable certain keys? This provides both accessibility AND flexibility. Bury it where regular users won't find it if necessary.

I've tested many alternatives now and I've moved on to Zoom. It's half the cost and no limitations on flexibility.

I hope you will see this from our point of view as it looks like you guys are pushing yourselves out of the market.

Best of luck

LogMeIn Manager

With the release of GoToMeeting v8.46 Keyboard shortcuts and tabbed navigation disabled during keyboard and mouse sharing (Windows) which should resolve this issue.