cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

How to connect multiple monitors to a remote PC that does not have monitors attached to it

Issue: To remote into a PC using Gotomypc that DOES NOT have any monitors attached to it, but you would still like to use both your local monitors for dual screen support.

I have seen this around the GoToMyPc forums and other forums out there for GoToMyPc products and other similar products as well.

Solution: 
1) On the remote/host PC go into Display Properties or Screen Resolution
2) Click on Detect
3) It will show a display that says 'Another display not detected' 
4) Highlight that display and select 'Display device on: VGA' or to one of the video cards
5) Select 'Extend these displays' 
6) Click Apply

You should now be able to use dual screens remotely even though the remote (host) PC has no monitors or cables attached! Even better, it doesn't SPAN them, it gives you two separate monitors.

I do want to add that after speaking with numerous Level 1 and 2 techs from Citrix, not one could figure it out and many told me it's not possible within a minute of the call.

To Citrix: please post this as a KB
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: How to connect multiple monitors to a remote PC that does not have monitors attached to it

I'd love to make this work with my setup.  My client has 2 displays,  and host has no displays.  I followed your directions & the Host is clearly detecting the 2 displays on the client,  but I'm still unable to the dual displays.  Any more thoughts?
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: How to connect multiple monitors to a remote PC that does not have monitors attached to it

Hello, 

GoToMyPC captures the screen as it is rendered by your computer's video card.  Although it may vary depending on your model and driver, most video cards will not render a full resolution if the video card does not detect that a monitor is attached.  Additionally, even if a video card is capable of rendering multiple monitors it will only render one if multiple monitors are not physically attached.

You may be able to change the resolution and settings manually in the display control panel.  If you consistently don't plan on having a physical monitor attached you may want to invest in something like a "dummy plug".  These devices "trick" your video card into rendering a display that is not actually attached.   You may need multiple plugs in order to have multiple monitors rendered.  Different models and manufacturers sell these, here is one model: http://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Graphics-Display-Detection-VE-D01/dp/B00EAY13GC
Highlighted
Active Contributor

I can't make this work with both machines being Windows-10.  The Original-PC has a single Monitor, and the detection only finds the one, and I can't get to your next step in #4.
Someone claimed he was able to with your instructions here:
https://community.gotomypc.com/gotomypc/topics/can_you_use_multiple_client_monitors_with_a_single_mo...

I wonder if it would have a chance of working if I had someone unplug the remaining monitor that is attached.
Definitely Windows RDP rules.  Because with RDP, you don't have these problems.
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Robert,
I'm sorry if this workaround did not work for you.  GoToMyPC was designed to screen capture the physical desktop, and most likely won't receive any information if a PC isn't sending display updates to an active monitor.

Active Contributor

It would seem to me, that the host-computers 'Video' configuration has no basis here.  That's why I mentioned 'Remote Desktop' as a superior concept.  Just like the host computer 'printer' configuration has no basis.  And you can print locally.  I understand what I'm saying would mean some-sort-of rewrite.  But it really doesn't make a lot of sense to base the end-viewers resolution and configuration on the hosts computers video-configuration that no longer may make any sense.
I believe I'm stuck with 'gotopc' because this is a new job, and they use it.