cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Weird problem with gotomypc after install on new PC - can connect to Host but it is unresponsive?

I recently purcahsed a new Dell desktop (Windows 10) and installed GoToMyPC on it after having removed the account from my old PC. Installation went fine and the service starts automatically on boot as it should. I then went to test the connection with my laptop. I am able to connect and I see my host desktop but I am unable to actually do anything. I cannot open any applications, access the START button, etc. It is as if the host PC is frozen. When I disconnect and check the host, everything is fine. I'm not ure how or why this is happening but I am unable to figure out what the issue is on the new workstation - it is literally 4 days old and the only change Ive made to it is subscribing to Office 365. Help!

6 REPLIES
LogMeIn Manager

Re: Weird problem with gotomypc after install on new PC - can connect to Host but it is unresponsive

Hi @rmckofke

Would it be possible for you to connect to your new Host PC from a something other than your laptop? We have free iOS and Android apps you could use if you have a smartphone or tablet. If the same thing happened from another device we would know the issue is on the new Host PC. Another option would be to call our toll-free 24/7 support and one of our agents can trouble shoot the issue with you: Contact Support

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

Re: Weird problem with gotomypc after install on new PC - can connect to Host but it is unresponsive

Hi Glenn, thanks for the reply! I gave it a try from my ipad and the same behavior is exhibited - I can connect and I can see the host desktop, but when I try to click on anything it is unresponsive/frozen. I'm wondering if there is a setting on the Host that needs to be configured? GTMPC is white listed on Windows firewall and I am able to connect so I don't know what else it could be.

Regards,

Rob

New Contributor

Hi again, I just wanted to follow-up with an update. It seems that I needed to eun the gotosetup.exe file as Administrator in order to get it to work, after doing so I am now able to not only connect but also interact with the host PC. I'm not sure why I needed to do that, however. All good for now and thanks again for your time and reply!

Regards,

Rob

New Contributor

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I have a feeling I need to adjust windows settings because when the host PC goes into hibernate mode, and then I try to connect remotely, I can see the host desktop but nothing seems to be happening. If I connect before the PC goes into sleep mode, it seems to work fine. Are there recommended Windows 10 sleep mode settings that I should try to tweak as best settings for gotomypc?

Thanks,

Rob

LogMeIn Manager

Hi @rmckofke

The screen savers can be used on a Host but, Sleep or Hybination cannot as the software would not be running during those states.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

SOLVED!!!

I've been trying to figure this out since the behavior of GoToMyPC changed a few months ago (probably as the result of a Dell or Windows update).

When you close the lid of your laptop, the internal display is deativated and GoToMyPC can no longer do screen mirroring.

The easy solution is to leave your laptop lid open if it is a GoToMyPC host.